Missing 6 line wrasse

Skelly429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I currently have a 32 gal biocube and finally moved my fish(2 clowns, watchman goby, 6 line wrasse) from my 13.5 evo to the biocube. All of my fish/coral are doing great after the move, most opened fully after a hour in the new tank. However I haven't seen my 6 line wrasse sense the move. He would hide in the evo (Was only in there two weeks as the biocube wasn't finished its cycle) but would always come out for feeding/ was easy enough to find in the rockwork.

Today is going on day 3 that hes been MIA. The tank has a tight lid so I don't think he managed to jump (looked around the tank and didn't see anything) i have looked through as much of the rock as I can with a flashlight but haven't seen a glimpse of him. Is this normal for them/should i be worried about a possible dead fish in the tank causing water issues? I just put everything in and don't want to stress everything out more by moving stuff around.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I currently have a 32 gal biocube and finally moved my fish(2 clowns, watchman goby, 6 line wrasse) from my 13.5 evo to the biocube. All of my fish/coral are doing great after the move, most opened fully after a hour in the new tank. However I haven't seen my 6 line wrasse sense the move. He would hide in the evo (Was only in there two weeks as the biocube wasn't finished its cycle) but would always come out for feeding/ was easy enough to find in the rockwork.

Today is going on day 3 that hes been MIA. The tank has a tight lid so I don't think he managed to jump (looked around the tank and didn't see anything) i have looked through as much of the rock as I can with a flashlight but haven't seen a glimpse of him. Is this normal for them/should i be worried about a possible dead fish in the tank causing water issues? I just put everything in and don't want to stress everything out more by moving stuff around
it might be stressed from the move , wrasses tend to hide a lot when frightened .
give it a few more days and see what happens

OP
OP
S

Skelly429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I did check the back chamber the only chamber he couldve gotten into is the first one that houses my heater which i pulled to check if he was in there and didnt see him in there with a flashlight. I also have a DIY lid i made to sit lower than the normal biocube lid, so the only way into the back chambers are the vertical slits for the overflow that I dont think he could fit through.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! was hoping he was just scared and hiding hopefully that's the case.
That usually is the case with wrasses that sleep in mucous cocoons - They tend to hide for weeks+ when they’re the sand sleeping varieties of wrasse.

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check in the rocks. The clowns have probibly killed it. My two clowns took two nights to kill my sixline. They would attack it while he was in his cocoon at night. I got rid of the clowns.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it another week or two. I recently had a fish MIA for an entire month only to return happy.

OP
OP
S

Skelly429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive searched all through the rocks at night and hes still MIA. Hoping for the best but at this point im starting to think he somehow jumped out and was eaten by one of my dogs as i cant find him on the floor around the tank and havent seen a glimpse in almost 2 weeks. The ammonia level also hasnt moved so I dont think hes dead in the tank either. The clowns arent aggressive at all and are pretty young so I would be surprised if they bothered him. Ill update this if he shows up but so far it doesnt look good sadly.

OP
OP
S

Skelly429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That usually is the case with wrasses that sleep in mucous cocoons - They tend to hide for weeks+ when they’re the sand sleeping varieties of wrasse.
They can go that long hiding? without food I wouldnt think he would make it this long

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive searched all through the rocks at night and hes still MIA. Hoping for the best but at this point im starting to think he somehow jumped out and was eaten by one of my dogs as i cant find him on the floor around the tank and havent seen a glimpse in almost 2 weeks. The ammonia level also hasnt moved so I dont think hes dead in the tank either. The clowns arent aggressive at all and are pretty young so I would be surprised if they bothered him. Ill update this if he shows up but so far it doesnt look good sadly.
I thought my naoko had jumped but I found him in the back chambers from a gut feeling, I recommend checking there again!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can go that long hiding? without food I wouldnt think he would make it this long
Yeah they can - I know of some people that have had their wrasse hide for a month!

OP
OP
S

Skelly429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought my naoko had jumped but I found him in the back chambers from a gut feeling, I recommend checking there again!
Ive looked back there a few times but the last thing I could try is pulling all the stock biocube filter stuff out of the middle chamber. From what I can see in it as well as the overflow and return chambers he isnt there but Ill check again tonight. I also think if he was in the middle chamber he wouldnt have made it this long and I would run into some water quality issues. hopefully Im wrong and hes okay somewhere

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they can - I know of some people that have had their wrasse hide for a month!
Good to hear.. Mine of two+ years in a mature tank just went missing today... My other fish were acting weird and more skittish than normal too... all of them are acting more normal and eating as of just now though.. but no six line. I do have some mithrax crabs which hide and I mean HIDE. One of them is large.. I am wondering if they went rogue and caught the wrasse while it was sleeping in it's mucous cocoon. I have heard of and seen personally one hide in the sandbed during times of extreme duress. All was fine last night though.. I am about to do a full maintenance today and move a rock, clean, water change, etc..

I did check all of the surrounding areas as my tank is open in two center spots.. I can't find a thing. Hopefully the little bugger is still in there just taking an epic nap or something.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no six line today.. I did more searching … I did a large maintenance, moved some rocks, cleaning plus water change.. idk. Poor little guy.. I’m thinking it’s dead.. it was the one fish that never hid.. it was cruising the rocks all day.. all over all the time. … in other news I have a large rock of firework cloves to sell now.. can’t fit it well back into the scape. I’ll hit up the sale forums with all that..

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no wrasse.. loosing hope at this point. starting to think it's time for me to shop a new one. Maybe a 4-line this time around if I can find one.

Back