missing anenome

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so before i go tearing apart my rock work, whats the best way of goin about a missing anenome? can they climb out of tanks? and how would i know if they got sucked up into the intake? i just put it in last night and then this morning they were gone gonnee, couldnt find it. any tips for finding? or is this just a waiting game.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
so before i go tearing apart my rock work, whats the best way of goin about a missing anenome? can they climb out of tanks? and how would i know if they got sucked up into the intake? i just put it in last night and then this morning they were gone gonnee, couldnt find it. any tips for finding? or is this just a waiting game.
If it got sucked up, you will see bits and pieces disbursed throughout the tank. My guess is either too much light and/or water flow which will send them into hiding.

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres no pieces, and i did use the acclimating light setting. maybe the flow but it wasnt to strong, just hoping they didnt jump out

harrylarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erm, nems can’t jump lol

Any pics?

Maybe alien abduction?

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yess lol i meant figuratively, i didnt know if maybe they walk up the glass n fall out sometimes or what. but no pics, maybe when i get home. currently trying to figure out the best way of spotting a hiding nem

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just wait, and whatever you do, DON'T go searching for it by moving rocks around. Just let it be. Looks like you put it in recently, in which case, it's normal for them to go hide. It'll come out eventually, probably within the next few weeks. I've never heard of one climbing out. They move by inflating part of their foot with water, which expands to a new place to grab hold. It then deflates that part of the foot, and lets go with the rest, moving forwards a bit. No water to inflate the foot with outside of the tank, so I can't fathom that happening. @vetteguy53081 is right, if it went in the drain, there'd be bits of anemone all over. It might be worth checking inside the overflow, or perhaps in the sump if it doesn't show up. I hope this helps!

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coolcool, just wanted to double check to see if that was somethin that could happen. dont have an overflow or sump, and no little bits of green so hopefully hes still kicken. and ill make sure not to mess with the rocks then and see how things go, hopefully they didnt have a nice walk across my corals

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: found it but its smushed into this crevace, how do i know if its upset or is just getting used to the tank? whatre optimal paramatera

Pdude2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently experienced the same thing; I am waiting to see if it emerges as well.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of anemone is it?

I'm glad that you've found it. Assuming it's a green BTA, being in a crevice is ideal. It'll expand when it's ready. Not much for you to do at this point. Just let it settle in.

Regarding parameters, typically reef tank parameters are fine. Again, assuming it's a BTA, it can tolerate quite a bit assuming it's healthy. You'll want to avoid huge swings in water parameters, including temperature. The addition of iodine is sometimes recommended, though I've done it in the past and haven't seen any conclusive results. And since we typically don't test for it, we don't know how much is in our water to begin with, so we don't know how much to add.

If you have powerheads, make sure that you have anemone guards, or you will eventually have a pureed anemone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back