Missing Blue Leg Hermit

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have had a blue leg hermit for about 3 months in which time he vanished, moulted and reappeared. This morning I have discovered that his shell is empty and he does not seem to be occupying any of the other shells that I had put in the tank for him to be able to move into. He is quite large compared to a lot I have seen in LFS and I am worried as have read that they only tend to live for a couple of years.

Do hermits leave their shell to moult? What worries me is that his shell was "abandoned" right at the front of the tank where as last time he moulted he hid within a crevice in the live rock.
Should I assume that he has died or could he be hiding in the live rock maybe? He is one of my favourite tank mates and I would be sad to think he has gone without a trace!
I have put his shell back to as close to where I found it as possible just in case and will run some tests on my water but all other tank mates including corals seem happy as normal. I will also do a water change just in case he has died as do not want a potential issue if he has died.

Other tank mates are:
2 x Clown fish
1 x Bi-colour blenny
1 x Yellow Coral Goby
2 x Nas snails
2 x Turbo snails

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are the hermit is dead. Between the fish and the snails I wouldn't worry about contamination from a single blue leg. Of course if you see a carcass you should remove it. It could have grown to the point where it felt it had to abandon the shell. Healthy hermits don't abandon shells unless there is an alternative shell present. That's why it's important to have similar empty shells of slightly larger sizes in the tank when you have hermits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Idaknow15

Idaknow15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are the hermit is dead. Between the fish and the snails I wouldn't worry about contamination from a single blue leg. Of course if you see a carcass you should remove it. It could have grown to the point where it felt it had to abandon the shell. Healthy hermits don't abandon shells unless there is an alternative shell present. That's why it's important to have similar empty shells of slightly larger sizes in the tank when you have hermits.
Thank you, there are 4 shells of different graduating sizes in the tank for him to move into but they all appear empty from what I can see too

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, there are 4 shells of different graduating sizes in the tank for him to move into but they all appear empty from what I can see too
As someone else mentioned, it could still turn up in another shell soon but I wouldn't count on it. At least you have other shells. It's quite possible it simply died.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back