Missing firefish

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,
During my trip (4 days), my tank sitter took off my lid for for a few min and in that time my firefish decided to jump out onto the carpet. After a min, tank sitter realized the prob and dumped him back in was lying upside down for a few min while still breathing (sitter nvr took lid off since then except to feed). Since then, fish has not been seen for 3days (i checked w my wifi cam and sitter looked everyday) while the other 2 fish ate as normal. Should i assume for now that my firefish is still traumatized, hiding and healing or he died under a rock or something? My skimmer has not been skimming anything, just got back and tested water parameters 0 ammonia and nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate, calc 410, mag 1230, alk 7.3. I figured if he died and something was eating his carcass it would cause a spike in ammonia or nitrates at least. Anyway, i plan on cleaning the tank morrow, but how long will a fish hide after trauma like that? Any input or exp w traumatized firefish would be greatly appreciated. Hope he is just hiding and will come out soon.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one will be a hard on to call. I pilling for you to have a good out come.

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had fish just disappear without any spikes, so that's a possibility. I've also had firefish jump into my overflow box, not sure if it's possible with your setup, but a place to look. It could be hiding, but if I can remember correctly, mine was usually out and about, so it's probably less likely. Good luck checking tomorrow.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, i have a jbj aio, just recently replaced lid w a screen so the sump is in the back.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have a couple of holes they go to when they're spooked. Maybe yours has one. Hope it turns out well for you.

OP
OP
Mariners

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a water change and uprooted my rocks. Really searched his normal rock and underneath found a mass of spaghetti worms which i siphoned and there was a mass that did not unravel like thread which i assumed what was left of poor milo the firefish. A mass of brown worms and an orange speck which i think is the orange firefish tail. I guess the spaghetti worms kept my water parameters from going bad. Thx everyone for the well wishes, guess i gotta look for another one for qt. Then hopefully my purple firefish is nice to the new one.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back