Missing Fish and Maybe Sick Clown, Help!

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I had a fish die out of the blue. This fish was never being super successful in the tank since I got him. Maybe a month before his death. I didn't notice any specific reason to his death. But decided to keep a close eye on the rest of my fish.

This morning I have a clown fish that is missing from the tank. After posting this I am going to work harder to find him but wanted to get this post out. I have another clown that almost has this protrusion on his head. I would say it's a pink/purple color and sticking out. I am unsure if its a natural wound or something else. Im looking to get help identifying the issue and what treatments I can do.

Facts on the two clowns: I have had them for 7 months with no issues. All fish in my system have been quarantined by me or purchased quarantined. The last fish I added was 3 weeks ago and the other fish died. Along with another, that seems perfectly fine. Also, I still have that dead fish in the freeze and can exhume him if needed.

It is hard to get pictures of this fish swimming around, but this is the best I can do.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the second picture where he is going behind the rock you can see what I am talking about. Advice is greatly appreciated!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I had a fish die out of the blue. This fish was never being super successful in the tank since I got him. Maybe a month before his death. I didn't notice any specific reason to his death. But decided to keep a close eye on the rest of my fish.

This morning I have a clown fish that is missing from the tank. After posting this I am going to work harder to find him but wanted to get this post out. I have another clown that almost has this protrusion on his head. I would say it's a pink/purple color and sticking out. I am unsure if its a natural wound or something else. Im looking to get help identifying the issue and what treatments I can do.

Facts on the two clowns: I have had them for 7 months with no issues. All fish in my system have been quarantined by me or purchased quarantined. The last fish I added was 3 weeks ago and the other fish died. Along with another, that seems perfectly fine. Also, I still have that dead fish in the freeze and can exhume him if needed.

It is hard to get pictures of this fish swimming around, but this is the best I can do.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

What species of fish died?

The pictures are not clear enough to really see anything, can you post a good video?

Also, more background information would be helpful - this post explains all that:

Jay

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, Fish-only, Quarantine tank - Reef
Aquarium water volume - 130.4G
Filtration type - Sump with, filter socks, refugium, protien skimmer
Lighting - 3 LED
How long has the aquarium been established? - 9 months
Digital image of the whole aquarium under white light - See pictures above

Water quality
(be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using, as well as the test kit brand)
Temperature - 78
pH: - 8.3
Salinity / specific gravity - 34.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 7.5
Phosphorus - .03 - .1
Copper - N/A
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below) - Not sure. Had a fish do missing as of today, and this guy looks sick. The fish that is missing is the other clown fish. Had a fish die out of the blue last week. But that fish had never been doing super well since put in the aquarium about 3 weeks ago. No evident cause of death for the other fish.
Are any invertebrates affected? - From what I can tell no invertebrates have been effected.
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4) TBH I cannot tell. It doesn't seem to be out of the normal.
Are the affected fish still feeding? - I have just noticed this issue, and not had feeding time pass yet. Will check this evening.
What remedies have you tried so far? - None, this was my first stop to correcting the issue. I have a qt tank set up and ready to go (if I can catch the fish).
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light - See above
- if needed, indicate by drawing a line around the area in question.
A short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well) - this is perhaps the best information that you can supply, as long as the video is clear.

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of fish died?

The pictures are not clear enough to really see anything, can you post a good video?

Also, more background information would be helpful - this post explains all that:

Jay
Hey Jay, thank you for the help. I posted all you requested above. Thank you for the help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay, thank you for the help. I posted all you requested above. Thank you for the help!

There is a slight clue in the video - the clown has some diffuse white mucus and is swimming a bit "stiffly". It isn't breathing overly fast. That all adds up to a possible Brooklynella infection, that hits clownfish first. The yellow tang, in the brief glimpse I got, looks pretty good.

Do you have a treatment tank available? Brooklynella is REALLY tough to treat in a display tank. the best treatment is formalin, but it isn't reef safe. Some people try Ruby Reef Rally Pro in their display, but it doesn't always work.

Jay

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a slight clue in the video - the clown has some diffuse white mucus and is swimming a bit "stiffly". It isn't breathing overly fast. That all adds up to a possible Brooklynella infection, that hits clownfish first. The yellow tang, in the brief glimpse I got, looks pretty good.

Do you have a treatment tank available? Brooklynella is REALLY tough to treat in a display tank. the best treatment is formalin, but it isn't reef safe. Some people try Ruby Reef Rally Pro in their display, but it doesn't always work.

Jay
Both my other fish are looking good (so far). I have a treatment take set up. Catching the clown is the real issue.

I dont have formalin and am having troubling finding a dealer in my area where I can get it. Any other treatments I can look into?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my other fish are looking good (so far). I have a treatment take set up. Catching the clown is the real issue.

I dont have formalin and am having troubling finding a dealer in my area where I can get it. Any other treatments I can look into?
Just the Ruby Reef Rally Pro. Some people have been experimenting with hydrogen peroxide, but that is too much of a guess right now.

Jay

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Jay Hemdal I got a better video of him when I got him in the QT tank. Still the same prognosis? Any other opinions?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Jay Hemdal I got a better video of him when I got him in the QT tank. Still the same prognosis? Any other opinions?

Well, in this video, I don't see much mucus, but the stiff swimming seems worse and I can see some rapid breathing. I still think it is Brooklynella though.

Is the fish eating?
Have you begun a treatment yet?

Jay

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in this video, I don't see much mucus, but the stiff swimming seems worse and I can see some rapid breathing. I still think it is Brooklynella though.

Is the fish eating?
Have you begun a treatment yet?

Jay
The fish is eating.

I am working on sourcing medication now. I did a fresh water dip, and have started dosing copper to the system. I know these are not Brooklynella treatments. But better than nothing until I can source medications. Ill keep you updated. So far my other fish are looking good. We will see....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is eating.

I am working on sourcing medication now. I did a fresh water dip, and have started dosing copper to the system. I know these are not Brooklynella treatments. But better than nothing until I can source medications. Ill keep you updated. So far my other fish are looking good. We will see....
The FW dip will buy you some time if it is Brooklynella.
What copper product are you using and what dose?

Jay

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FW dip will buy you some time if it is Brooklynella.
What copper product are you using and what dose?

Jay
I am currently using copper power at 1.5ppm after 24 hours step up to 2.0, then 2.5 24 hours after that. Im planning to keep that dose for 14 days while dosing other medications. Think this may help?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using copper power at 1.5ppm after 24 hours step up to 2.0, then 2.5 24 hours after that. Im planning to keep that dose for 14 days while dosing other medications. Think this may help?

You should get to 2.25 ppm right away and then decide if you will boost it to 2.5. then, hold it there for 30 days. It may not help much if this is Brooklynella though.

Ramping copper up slowly is old advice, based on ionic copper, not these amine-chelated products.

Jay

OP
OP
TheGrimReeferTx

TheGrimReeferTx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get to 2.25 ppm right away and then decide if you will boost it to 2.5. then, hold it there for 30 days. It may not help much if this is Brooklynella though.

Ramping copper up slowly is old advice, based on ionic copper, not these amine-chelated products.

Jay

Thank you for letting me know. Bumping it up now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back