Missing fish

reeflearner3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody. I have a 400 gallon reef tank and I just got three new fish for the tank and two of them have gone missing in less than 2 weeks. I got a solar fairy wrasse, hippo tang, and fire blenny (as well as a cowrie snail). The hippo tang and fire blenny are both missing and the cowrie snail is not moving and the shell appears to have a layer of fur on it, while the wrasse is doing perfectly fine. I have also noticed 2 green chromis have gone missing but I am not sure when they disappeared. The tank has plenty of live rock and corals that have been there for years and the fish and inverts include: 3 orchid dottybacks, 1 filefish, 3 Pajama cardinals, 1 foxface rabbitfish, 1 yellow tang, a breeding pair of clownfish, 2 clams, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 urchins, 3-4 serpent stars, and about a dozen assorted crabs and snails all under 2 inches inn length. There has recently been an outbreak of Acoel worms in the tank too, I dont know if the two are related.

jacobSD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the test results and we can go from there. That's usually where the problems and at the very least a good starting point.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least, if you've got hidden dead fish back in your rockwork somewhere, you've probably got some ammonia to deal with . . .

On top of what killed the fish.

~Bruce

OP
OP
reeflearner3

reeflearner3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least, if you've got hidden dead fish back in your rockwork somewhere, you've probably got some ammonia to deal with . . .

On top of what killed the fish.

~Bruce
I looked around in all of the live rock and didn't see anything. I have full viewing access to all 4 sides of the tank and didnt see a thing out of place or unusual and certainly no remains. They arent the biggest fish, but still wouldnt totally disappear I would think

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be that you have a very efficient cleanup crew, or that they've gotten themselves back into the rockwork somewhere. Did you set up with wild-grown liverock? The kind that can bring things like mantis shrimp?

Is there any possibility that one or more of them jumped out? They can bounce and flip a surprising distance . . .

~Bruce, still thinking you might want to double-check those water parameters

OP
OP
reeflearner3

reeflearner3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be that you have a very efficient cleanup crew, or that they've gotten themselves back into the rockwork somewhere. Did you set up with wild-grown liverock? The kind that can bring things like mantis shrimp?

Is there any possibility that one or more of them jumped out? They can bounce and flip a surprising distance . . .

~Bruce, still thinking you might want to double-check those water parameters

The tank has been established for almost thirty years and the live rock has been in there for at least 5 if not more. I didn't see anything on the ground or in the sump either. My clean up crew is very lackluster but it is possible that a bristle worm could have gotten to them I suppose.

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They were kept in a quarantine tank for well over a week

A week is better than nothing, but not long enough to be sure they didn't have any parasites or diseases, IMO. There are a number of things they could have brought with them that subsequently killed them, velvet being the one that seems to be popping up a lot lately.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back