Missing shrimp

Sassy Jenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if there is anything that eat Harloquin shrimp? I put two large one in my tank...gone....no where to be found.:eek:oh:

SNAKEMANVET

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a pair they were not out and about much.Maybe one day a week I would see them. Give them time.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp are experts at hiding. to me a "Mystery of the universe" is how can things hide so well in a little box of water? Shrimp are also very sensitive to changes in PH, temp, and salinity. If one dies and you have a good bacterial cycle it could "disappear" within hours. What other critters do you have in the tank that might be suspect?

OP
OP
Sassy Jenny

Sassy Jenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a lot of large fish. Every time I put any shrimp in the just....poof....gone. The only one that is doing well is a cleaner shrimp. He is huge!

OP
OP
Sassy Jenny

Sassy Jenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! I know right! I got them because I have a zillion of those darn little white starfish!

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, I'm speaking from experience. I've fed a few dozen peppermints to my fish because of Aiptasia. My wife finally put her foot down and said, no more.

OP
OP
Sassy Jenny

Sassy Jenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sad to say that we still have not seen the missing shrimp! I am not really sure if the white starfish explosion has gone down due to the amount that we have! I guess I will just keep watching for those little guys and keep my fingers crossed that they are still in there....some where!

OP
OP
Sassy Jenny

Sassy Jenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEAH!! The day before yesturday, I saw my male shrimp!! So excited...still no sign of the female...

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep saying my male/female shrimp. A little information for you: Lysmata Shrimp are hermaphrodites, so they are both sexes.

dzones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You keep saying my male/female shrimp. A little information for you: Lysmata Shrimp are hermaphrodites, so they are both sexes.

She is referring to Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans) not skunk cleaner shrimps
;)

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a shrimp in a move a while back. They were hiding in holes in the rock, and when I put the rock back in its hole got covered and it didn't get out :/.

They can hide in some very small holes.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back