Mix Reef Balance

  • Thread starter Thread starter Neo Jeo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mixed Reef More Challenging?

  • O, Yes!

    Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Na, about the same.

    Votes: 1 25.0%

  • Total voters
    4

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 6, 2017
Messages
2,475
Reaction score
2,858
Location
East Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my Reefers!

As you might know. I have a 120G mixed reef. I have heard that mixed reefs are more challenging then picking a LPS or SPS.

The problem im having is flow. If flow is to high then my LPS get banged up. For example I have a bubble coral on my sand bed. The flow is smacking it so much it keeps getting smaller and smaller. I have tried moving the power heads and adjust flow but no go.

Anyone have any advice on how to properly balance a mixed reef? Is there one?
 
Have sections of different corals, like lps on be the bottom left, and aim my power heads around them.
 
Its all about coral placement. Think out your aquascape around the corals you want to keep.
 
I find that were ever I move the heads the LPS corals get blasted lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new