BelleReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank is about to turn 1 year old, so I have decided to start this build thread journal. I will post all about my progress over the past year and keep a running thread of new updates :)

A little background about my tank:

My boyfriend surprised me with a tank of my choosing as a thank you for helping him recover from a bad motorcycle accident (he is doing well now). I chose the Red Sea Max E-170 because I was tight on space and wanted a smaller tank that had a minimalistic design. I also liked that it could be easily (or so I thought…) converted to a sump design without the overflow tower like in the reefer series.

Overall I’m happy with my choice. The tank is beautiful, well crafted, and fits the aesthetic I was looking for. I think it’s the perfect size for a beginner to get their feet wet without the extra costs of larger equipment and more supplies that a larger tank would require. My only complaint would be the plumbing (more on that to come)!

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like you are off to a good start with your adventure! I look forward to reading more and seeing pictures!!!

OP
OP
BelleReef

BelleReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank goals and approach:
  • Mixed Reef. I wanted a mixed reef tank because I love the movement of softies, the colors of LPS, and the shape of SPS.
  • Quarantine. I wanted to take my time and quarantine all fish, corals, and inverts to avoid pest problems down the road. I’ve had freshwater aquarium pests in the past and I want to avoid any tear downs.
  • Livestock. It must have my favorites (clownfish pair, Xenia, monti caps). I also wanted to fill it with corals I loved rather than stocking only “high end” varieties.
  • Low impact. I wanted to stock my tank with aquacultured livestock and sustainable products, and avoid wild caught specimens where possible. As a recreational Scuba diver and biologist this goal is very important to me. I realize that not all things are able to be aquacultured, so I am using this more as a goal than a hard and fast rule.
  • Slow and steady. I wanted to take my time and do everything “right” the first time rather than wasting energy and money on quick fixes. This meant spending more money up front on better equipment, rather than spending more by upgrading down the road. However I’m on a tight budget so I try to DIY and only get the equipment I think I need.

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank goals and approach:
  • Mixed Reef. I wanted a mixed reef tank because I love the movement of softies, the colors of LPS, and the shape of SPS.
  • Quarantine. I wanted to take my time and quarantine all fish, corals, and inverts to avoid pest problems down the road. I’ve had freshwater aquarium pests in the past and I want to avoid any tear downs.
  • Livestock. It must have my favorites (clownfish pair, Xenia, monti caps). I also wanted to fill it with corals I loved rather than stocking only “high end” varieties.
  • Low impact. I wanted to stock my tank with aquacultured livestock and sustainable products, and avoid wild caught specimens where possible. As a recreational Scuba diver and biologist this goal is very important to me. I realize that not all things are able to be aquacultured, so I am using this more as a goal than a hard and fast rule.
  • Slow and steady. I wanted to take my time and do everything “right” the first time rather than wasting energy and money on quick fixes. This meant spending more money up front on better equipment, rather than spending more by upgrading down the road. However I’m on a tight budget so I try to DIY and only get the equipment I think I need.
Any updates? I just got the same tank and my goals are basically the same as yours. Would greatly appreciate any advice you have. This is my first tank. I do not have the sump system though.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back