Mixing Bacteria in a Bottle?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2019
Messages
1,113
Reaction score
390
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May seem like a stupid question, but can you mix different brands of bacteria for cycling an aquarium? Such as API quickstart and Fritz Turbo start?
 
No stupid questions here! The short answer- yes, you can.

If they are different strains of bacteria, some might out compete others... but it's not harmful to use more than one.

Edit to add. Even these products may help reduce/shorten your cycle, I'd definitely still suggest monitoring your nitrite and ammonia closely both before and while adding fish.
 
No stupid questions here! The short answer- yes, you can.

If they are different strains of bacteria, some might out compete others... but it's not harmful to use more than one.

+1
 
No stupid questions here! The short answer- yes, you can.

If they are different strains of bacteria, some might out compete others... but it's not harmful to use more than one.

Edit to add. Even these products may help reduce/shorten your cycle, I'd definitely still suggest monitoring your nitrite and ammonia closely both before and while adding fish.
Oh yeah of course, I read(My tank is a 220) that the bacteria should remove 1 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours, when it is cycled, or cycled enough to slowly add fish.
 
I felt I should add the disclaimer... the product marketing is a bit misleading lol. If you want to be sure your cycle is complete, you can dose a bit of ammonia (like Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride) and test to see if it processes properly.
 
Last edited:
Yes! I used Dr. Tim's fishless cycle and added FritZyme 9. After my cycle stalled a bit, I did a 25% water change and did a course of MicroBactr7. That did the trick.
 
I felt I should add the disclaimer... the product marketing is a bit misleading lol. If you want to be sure your cycle is complete, you can dose a bit of ammonia (like Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride) and test to see if it processes properly.
I have ammonia chloride, I'm going to put in 1 ppm for 3 days to make sure.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 29.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new