Mixing clowns

jallard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just lost my young male flurry and now have a female flurry clownfish and was wondering... can I mix ocellaris clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) or do I need to stick with another flurry? Will the female fight the new clownfish based on appearance or.... based on Family?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s been the rule of thumb that as long as there is not a mates pair already in there , then your fine. I have seen aquariums and lfs have different clowns (multiples) together, but it’s because they are not a mates.

They are part of the damsel section so the name kinda goes hand in hand. But you should be fine, I’d do one equal size maybe larger. If there is aggression that may curve it and or you can add a mirror where the current female is.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add any type or color of ocellaris or even percula, as long as it is small enough to still be certain it's a male, so no bigger than an inch and a quarter max, smaller the better.

Intro in a specimen container of some kind, just in case your female does not accept it, this does happen sometimes.

You should be able to tell if your female is curious, or charging at it wanting to kill it.

Good luck

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back