Mixing Stations

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those of you who have tanks mixing water in garage, how do you get water to your tank? A hose?

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those of you who have tanks mixing water in garage, how do you get water to your tank? A hose?
I use a bucket for the mixed water. I only change 10 Gallons at a time. I have a outlet on the system that I can plump a 1/2 inch pipe out to pump the water to the tank in the future. The RODI water is pumped to the ATO tanks via as 1/4 inch RO tubing.
578e45aea7a2cd8891ff84d8db1c4ada.jpg

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a bucket for the mixed water. I only change 10 Gallons at a time. I have a outlet on the system that I can plump a 1/2 inch pipe out to pump the water to the tank in the future. The RODI water is pumped to the ATO tanks via as 1/4 inch RO tubing.
578e45aea7a2cd8891ff84d8db1c4ada.jpg

Very cool jim. Just got one tote for now for RO. I am just seeing how people do things, thanks

Fishinbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a valve the i turn to do large volumes, also use a secondary storage tank and a small Maxi jet pump to pump through the wall into the sumo
1a2d4a2e24618814234fdee77d343406.jpg
3abd80b80d2eb06084a0300dfabd8855.jpg

sp0di

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. This is to support a 72G tank. I'll be replacing the shark bit fittings and adding a pump in the very near future. Top tank is RODI storage and bottom tank is salt mix tank. There are a couple of powerheads in the salt tank and a thermometer. The tanks are 35G and the top one fills to about 30G with the auto-shutoff.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first choice would be running concealed rigid piping from the mixing station to the tank/sump
second choice would be pumping from the mixing station to the tank using a remote switch or extension cords.
third choice would be saltwater container on wheels (only works well with smaller amounts of water).

thetedinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not elegant or pretty but it works. Top of page two in my build thread describes what I do and has some pictures. A couple of things are different. I now use TropicMarin salt and the barrels are permanently located under the RO/DI station. I also have updated how I control the RO/DI production using Apex. Here is a link to page two. HTH.

thetedinator's As-built 240g System|Page 2

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky enough to have planned for it during construction and had a refrigerator water supply installed. Perfect for the 1/4" lines to the RO/DI system.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI is in my laundry room, I run 30’ of 1/4” line from laundry room to my two 40 gallon containers to fill them up. I only store RODI and will last me 2-3 months.

I do also run a booster pump on my RODI, not sure if that helps with the pushing of water. I’ve had no issues.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allot of people just buy a length tubing and install a disconnect. Google Cam Lever Coupling. If you are doing it by yourself, I would suggest a ball valve close to the end of the tubing. That way you can shut the flow off when it is full, then go back to turn off the pump. I can imagine ways of also using that same pump with a few valves to be able to empty the tank as well if it is near a drain.

wmwesty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. This is to support a 72G tank. I'll be replacing the shark bit fittings and adding a pump in the very near future. Top tank is RODI storage and bottom tank is salt mix tank. There are a couple of powerheads in the salt tank and a thermometer. The tanks are 35G and the top one fills to about 30G with the auto-shutoff.

Are the metal pipe fittings ok, there’s no trace in RO water?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I’m just wondering I do everyone isn’t mixing in station in garage and just pumping brought house or using buckets??

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine. 2 food safe 55 gallon drums in my utility room in my basement. I ran some clear flexible 3/4" hose to my sump area and plumbed in a valve near the tank. Added a remote controller to my mixing pump so that I can shoot it up to the tank area. While standing at the tank. Also have 1/4 water line running to the tank from the fresh water barrel as well for ato. Was pretty simple, through the wall and into the area above my suspended ceiling in the basement then over to the utility room. I wouldn't have it any other way.

image.jpeg

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allot of people just buy a length tubing and install a disconnect. Google Cam Lever Coupling. If you are doing it by yourself, I would suggest a ball valve close to the end of the tubing. That way you can shut the flow off when it is full, then go back to turn off the pump. I can imagine ways of also using that same pump with a few valves to be able to empty the tank as well if it is near a drain.

This is exactly how I do it. The same line can pull water from my tank to the drain in the basement. Then adjust some valving and send some newly made salt water back up the same hose. So only one hose running to the basement. Can do 50 gallon water changes in under 10 minutes no buckets.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first choice would be running concealed rigid piping from the mixing station to the tank/sump
second choice would be pumping from the mixing station to the tank using a remote switch or extension cords.
third choice would be saltwater container on wheels (only works well with smaller amounts of water).

What kind of container on wheels would you reccommend? I will be doing about 10 gallon water changes.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of container on wheels would you reccommend? I will be doing about 10 gallon water changes.
For 10 gallons I would probably pcarry buckets. For more I would use a Rubbermaid brute on wheels, or a custom cart and container using a moving Dollie.

JimFuller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will find the Brass Shark bytes can add copper to your tank and poison your tank. That is why no metal is used in Marine/Saltwater systems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back