Mojano or baby euphyllia?

What do you think these are?

• No idea. Remove them.....nothing is worth the risk of mojano infestation

• No idea. Leave them and if they move on their own, then nuke them.

• Mojano's! Fire de missiles!

• Baby torches! Praised be the fruit!

• Something else all together....

Results are only viewable after voting.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy folks,

*** Just so everyone is clear, I am NOT talking about all the aiptasia.... if you look closely you'll see each photo has one little baby green guy in it....plus all aiptasia....****

Came across some little guys hanging out in my gravel bed the other day and I'm curious what you all think they might be. Doing some searching i found this thread....which seems to be similar. I'd like to know what people think the probability is of these little guys being Mojano's or baby euphyllia, or something else all together!

Tank Background:
Tank was started 8 months ago with all dry rock and dry sand. The corals in this tank all came from my previous tank (i believe i haven't gotten new corals in many many months...kinda a bummer but thats neither here nor there).

I never had mojano's except for about 3 years ago when my prior tank (the one where the corals came from) was first started, i got some live rock with two distinct mojanos and i was able to remove them easily during cycle (they seemed like they were in shock cause their foot just let go of the rock). Haven't seen another in the 2-3 years the tank has been running since.

I found these two little guys near each other in the gravel. They have not moved an inch since i found them a few days ago. I have several euphyllia (glabrescens, divisa, para/ancora) in the tank that are rather large, have been very healthy and growing.
Pictures of babies and of the adults i have in the tank. Super hard to get photos of these guys.... i'll keep trying:

IMG_9370.JPG
IMG_9368.JPG
IMG_9367.JPG
IMG_9366.JPG
IMG_9364.JPG
IMG_9365.JPG
IMG_9358.JPG
IMG_9357.JPG
IMG_9356.JPG
IMG_9355.JPG
IMG_9353.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha you guys have no idea how bad my aiptasia problem is right now they aren’t killing anything so I’m letting them grow until my 4 shrimpies are out of QT. Hopefully they’ll eat some, and then I’ll go to @Reeftown and grab an army.....

Stoked about baby euphyllia! Obviously had my fingers crossed for that. I bet there are more around my tank I haven’t found yet considering these two happened to be right next to each other and I found them by chance

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha that’s my gold spot rabbit fish. Love her. She munches bubble algae like a champ. She’s about 4” long! Not tiny, but not full grown. My tank is just bigger than it looks from the pictures

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha you guys have no idea how bad my aiptasia problem is right now they aren’t killing anything so I’m letting them grow until my 4 shrimpies are out of QT. Hopefully they’ll eat some, and then I’ll go to @Reeftown and grab an army.....

Stoked about baby euphyllia! Obviously had my fingers crossed for that. I bet there are more around my tank I haven’t found yet considering these two happened to be right next to each other and I found them by chance
hope those shrimp are hungry lol.i'm guessing they are peppermints?let those fire eaters free!try not to feed the tank for a few days after you put them in.that helps getem real hungry and eat those suckers like joey chesnutt on a nathans hot dog ime.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what your talking about. There’s does look like a very tiny aptasia coming up right next to it. Great find.

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....

If my euphyllia spawned, it stands to reason that there might be more little babies in other places...

This morning I found two more. Of course getting nervous about the “well...what IF we’re wrong....then I have a Mojano infestation....” but I realize that 1. If that’s the case, can’t change much about it until I know for sure. 2. All these babies are located in semi shaded regions of my tank. My understanding about mojanos is that they climb to the light.

Anyway, here are the other two for documentation purposes. If any of these guys move on their own accord, I’m nukeing them!

These later two have the observational benifit of being on rock structure and not the gravel so my snails can’t bulldoze them, and result in me losing it thinking they moved.

None of them seem to have the characteristic pointy tentacles I’m used to seeing with mojanos. But I guess we will see. One of the ones I found a few days ago was moved slightly by a snail and it’s base is slightly more visible. Still too small to risk trying to reach the 30” deep and pluck out the correct piece of crushed coral but in due time I guess.

Number 3:

2A681563-36D4-4413-9CEC-6DBBA69477F5.jpeg

Number 4:

743D2351-FC5B-4E4C-8F15-D2D795E3A0C1.jpeg
A9142DE8-DB1D-4E5A-B971-6FB68D72F310.jpeg

hope those shrimp are hungry lol.i'm guessing they are peppermints?let those fire eaters free!try not to feed the tank for a few days after you put them in.that helps getem real hungry and eat those suckers like joey chesnutt on a nathans hot dog ime.

Yes they are peppermints. I got 4 of them. They’re about half way through their 73day QT. Here’s to hoping!

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby Euphyllia;)

OP
OP
MarsRover

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a fifth and sixth!!

I’m going to be so sad when these turn out to be mojanos;Hilarious

DF89900A-4533-491B-B9B4-04FE7406878C.jpeg

EAA9A2F5-0239-4C4D-8FD1-75B6E8C9F276.jpeg

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Cubans but domestic cigars will do dad.so does anyone know what tank bred euphyllia sell for?lol.don't think I've ever seen them on the market.has anyone ever raised one it a reef from this stage to a colony?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back