Mollies in reef tanks

Jonathan lee

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2018
Messages
266
Reaction score
108
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if anyone is having the same issue as me with mollies in saltwater. I have a lagoon that is kept under a lil 1.025 since its fish only with mushrooms. I added mollies few months back and realised every male has died. Only the females are alive. Sailfins, balloons and the smaller black mollies. All males died in 2 months? Females going strong though. I wonder why this happens. I remember the late legend Jake Adams saying the same thing about his mollies too. But not sure the cause of it. Wonder if anyone can tell me why the males don’t live long in saltwater. I wanna try breeding them but if the males don’t live long then im not gonna bother getting more males.
 
Wonder if anyone is having the same issue as me with mollies in saltwater. I have a lagoon that is kept under a lil 1.025 since its fish only with mushrooms. I added mollies few months back and realised every male has died. Only the females are alive. Sailfins, balloons and the smaller black mollies. All males died in 2 months? Females going strong though. I wonder why this happens. I remember the late legend Jake Adams saying the same thing about his mollies too. But not sure the cause of it. Wonder if anyone can tell me why the males don’t live long in saltwater. I wanna try breeding them but if the males don’t live long then im not gonna bother getting more males.
I recently added 3 black mollies to my reef- about a month ago. I think they were just “regular” mollies. I only spent a few hours acclimating them. The next day i had two left, a male and a female. They have been thriving and eating all my pods- which i don’t care for. I did read somewhere that some people think it may have something to do with too much flow. Makes sense if they’re coming from Petco tanks and not used to all the swimming, at least to me. Since this is a new tank and I recently starting adding corals I was able to slowly ramp up the flow over a few weeks. That’s the only theory i have.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new