Mollies in reef tanks

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if anyone is having the same issue as me with mollies in saltwater. I have a lagoon that is kept under a lil 1.025 since its fish only with mushrooms. I added mollies few months back and realised every male has died. Only the females are alive. Sailfins, balloons and the smaller black mollies. All males died in 2 months? Females going strong though. I wonder why this happens. I remember the late legend Jake Adams saying the same thing about his mollies too. But not sure the cause of it. Wonder if anyone can tell me why the males don’t live long in saltwater. I wanna try breeding them but if the males don’t live long then im not gonna bother getting more males.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wonder if anyone is having the same issue as me with mollies in saltwater. I have a lagoon that is kept under a lil 1.025 since its fish only with mushrooms. I added mollies few months back and realised every male has died. Only the females are alive. Sailfins, balloons and the smaller black mollies. All males died in 2 months? Females going strong though. I wonder why this happens. I remember the late legend Jake Adams saying the same thing about his mollies too. But not sure the cause of it. Wonder if anyone can tell me why the males don’t live long in saltwater. I wanna try breeding them but if the males don’t live long then im not gonna bother getting more males.
I recently added 3 black mollies to my reef- about a month ago. I think they were just “regular” mollies. I only spent a few hours acclimating them. The next day i had two left, a male and a female. They have been thriving and eating all my pods- which i don’t care for. I did read somewhere that some people think it may have something to do with too much flow. Makes sense if they’re coming from Petco tanks and not used to all the swimming, at least to me. Since this is a new tank and I recently starting adding corals I was able to slowly ramp up the flow over a few weeks. That’s the only theory i have.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back