Monipora bleaching after dip..

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 50$ on this besutiful montipora.. never seen it before but maybe its a common one.. not sure.

Its bright neon green with small red polyps.

I dipped it and a meteor cyphastria coral i got together in coral rx.. only for about 5 min.

I did break the coral off its plug.. it was ecrusting on the plug quite a bit and the plug had nasty stuff growing on it i didnt want in my tank.

So maybe its the breaking off and dipping i did i dunno.

But its turning white pretty quickly and sliming up.

Do you guys think itll come back ?? I hope so.. only time will tell i guess but dang this sucks. I placed it kinda high 8n my tank where my acroporas are.. should i put it down near the sand bed maybe ?

20190616_005227.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an seasons greetings montipora. Some call them chili pepper montipora.

Not sure if it will make it, but it's more hardy than an acro.

They can slime.

If you followed all of your dip's directions (like rinsing in fresh saltwater after the dip) it should be okay.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost 2 acro from a bayer dip last week. Did a double rinse in new SW. :(

:(

I use more display water for the rinsing, but acros can be tough.

I forgot to do the rinse one time. The dip was stuck deep in acro's.
Most of them had to be fragged.

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i dipped 40 corals and one of my frogskin acroporas.. which is like a 60$ frag and beautiful bleached badly..... and so did this one.

I guess 2 outa 40 isnt bad... the worst thing.. nothing come off them they were clean corals.. dohh... the acropora i have up high in good flow i can see its skin still.. you know the brownish streaks ? And half of the polyp holes are still neon green.. so maybe itll come back ?

The monti stopped snotting so i just turned the ligjts off.. hopefully it doesnt progress more then it is now. I hate putting a 50$ bill down and having stuff die.. might as well burn the money in a fire pit you know lol

NemHost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to my chili pepper monti after dipping in coral rx and thought that I had killed it. I actually left it in dipping solution for more than 10 minutes. It took around 2-3 weeks but it completely bounced back.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i dipped 40 corals and one of my frogskin acroporas.. which is like a 60$ frag and beautiful bleached badly..... and so did this one.

I guess 2 outa 40 isnt bad... the worst thing.. nothing come off them they were clean corals.. dohh... the acropora i have up high in good flow i can see its skin still.. you know the brownish streaks ? And half of the polyp holes are still neon green.. so maybe itll come back ?

The monti stopped snotting so i just turned the ligjts off.. hopefully it doesnt progress more then it is now. I hate putting a 50$ bill down and having stuff die.. might as well burn the money in a fire pit you know lol
Until I started reefing I never realized how quickly money disolves in saltwater, almost as quickly as it burns... Hopefully it makes it for you, you may want to move it lower down in the tank for now until it starts to come back

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I started reefing I never realized how quickly money disolves in saltwater, almost as quickly as it burns... Hopefully it makes it for you, you may want to move it lower down in the tank for now until it starts to come back
This. I would move it lower to help acclimate it, then move it higher in a couple weeks if you want.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ouch!!
I'm dipping 27, lost the 2. They were free, but I feel like crap. I nursed them for a couple weeks as the sps (7 of them) acclimated to the different salt and lights, but there was aefw so I have to dip. In hind sight, I should have qt the new frags in a seperate qt. But that takes another tank and another light. Either way, I am dipping all my corals now ever since my aefw outbreak. Long summer ahead.

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the good news is it doesnt look like its bleaching anymore turned the ligjts on thinking id wake up to a dead coral but it seems to have stopped at 50% or so.. Lets hope it stays that way and comes back.

Also this is my frigskin acropora. Do you think he will come back ?

He bleached i can still see brown streaks on the sekeleton so the skin is still there. The very top tips look like the skin is gone but almost all of the polys are still a neon green

20190616_130353.jpg

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get used to flushing $50s, this hobby is expensive. Think of it like a college degree; classes are expensive and books are expensive, but if you get good grades, you’ll get a good job!

OP
OP
S

Sailfinguy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get used to it ? No offense but you dont know me or what ive lost or spent...

Lol ive been doing fishkeeping for 20 years. All i did was make a comment on how it sucks to burn money sometimes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back