Monti Cap dying

normal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've got a Monti Cap a while ago, as my first SPS, along with a bubble gum digitata.

The digitata is doing fine, growing and has polyps extended through all the photoperiod, but my Monti Cap has been going downhill since introduced to the tank.

It started browning up, and getting patches of what seemed to be algae. I didn't intervene at that time, because new growth seemed to be happening on the outer part of the Monti, so I though I better not touch it, but it kept getting worse.

Today I decided to dip it and 3 or 4 very very small bug like creatures came out of it (dark grey or black with transparent back of body)

In the last few months alkalinity has been dropping before I decided to start dosing ATI essentials (Alk, Ca, Mg and trace) , since WC were not replenishing lost Alk, 2 days ago, when it reached 6.1 dKh.

Phosphates are high on the 0.25-0,3 range, but I've seen tanks successfully run with numbers higher than this, so I'm not sure this is the culprit. Nitrates are 5.

Monti sits on the middle of the tank, with an AI Prime on a 18 inch cube.

The photo of the Monti is attached.

Quick questions:
1) Is it a goner?
2) What can I do to try and save it?
3) Should I be worried about the bugs?

IMG_4543.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you do have some live tissue there, so you may be able to save some of it. Monti eating nudis can be a problem, but they are pretty easy to ID. They're white with a fuzzy look to them. But I suspect your parameters may be playing a role.

6.1 is pretty darn low for Alk. I keep mine at 8.5+. Also, the high Phosphates with low Nitrates are not a good combo. Your Phosphates are really high (IMO).

As far as your lighting,"AI Prime on a 18 inch cube" tells us nothing. PAR is what counts. You may have too little or too much, but you won't ever know unless you use a PAR meter to find out.

wmo168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti are cheap, yea looks like it is dead. Probably throw it away.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti are cheap, yea looks like it is dead. Probably throw it away.
Price shouldn't have a role in whether or not we try to keep a living organism alive. We have a responsibility to try and keep them alive and healthy.
Considering the tank parameters may be the cause, attempting to save this Monti may potentially save their other corals as well.

OP
OP
N

normal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intend to try and save it. Trying to lower phosphates down and trying to stabilize dkh at 8. For a tank that usually has between 5 and 10 ppm of nitrate, what should be the phosphate level?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intend to try and save it. Trying to lower phosphates down and trying to stabilize dkh at 8. For a tank that usually has between 5 and 10 ppm of nitrate, what should be the phosphate level?
16:1
If you want to get scientific, it's known as the Redfield Ratio.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back