Montipora looking sad.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My montipora has been on the decline since the last time I fed my tank reef roids. I target fed all my corals with reef roids and noticed over the next couple of days that my monti had been on the decline. I posted about it on R2R in another thread and was told that target feeding RR especially to montipora is no bueno. It’s been a couple to a few weeks since I made the mistake and haven’t fed RR since then. My monti seemed like it was on the rebound but started noticing it unhappy again. Everything else is fine including my birdsnest. I want to post my parameters in hopes that someone can help me getting this back on track. I alternate feeding the tank frozen brine and mysis daily. It’s been almost a month since my last water change but everything has been pretty stable (I don’t dose because I have no idea what to dose nor if I even need to). I’m thinking I should get back on my 3 gallon a week routine to help solve the problem. Would I be correct in my assumption? My parameters are:
Ammonia, nitrite and, PH are API the rest are Redsea tests.)

Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
PH: 7.8
P03: .03
N03: 8
Cal: 420
Alk: 8.4 DKH
MAG: 1240
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 79

this is it under white lights. All my other corals are normal.

2B36ABDE-7056-4E3A-B951-722F16F74818.jpeg

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t know if you need to dose you aren’t checking your levels often enough.

I had an encrusting monti and a monti cap start to decline on me and I didn’t notice until I checked my numbers. I had an alk spike from 8.5 to 9.5 and my monti where not happy (80% loss so far). On the other hand I have a Walt Disney, pink caddy, strawberry short cake and a few no name acros all doing perfectly fine so it’s weird.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t know if you need to dose you aren’t checking your levels often enough.

I had an encrusting monti and a monti cap start to decline on me and I didn’t notice until I checked my numbers. I had an alk spike from 8.5 to 9.5 and my monti where not happy (80% loss so far). On the other hand I have a Walt Disney, pink caddy, strawberry short cake and a few no name acros all doing perfectly fine so it’s weird.
I don’t check as often as I should you’re correct but I keep an eye on everything like it’s an obsession. When I notice something out of the ordinary, I test. I also test intermittently but slowed down when I kept getting results that were stable. The monti was perfect until I screwed the pooch with the reef roids.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my post when I noticed things goin awry.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back