Montipora losing color

  • Thread starter Thread starter aecarval
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aecarval

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2020
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
Brazil
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My montipora Superman reverse is losing color and turning white. Can be high light?
93DF665A-E060-4706-B9BD-6204CFC09097.jpeg
 
High light with no nutrients is usually a montipora killer. Is it new in the tank? I would put it in an area with less light.
 
I have a similar issue... see picture

the 2 montis are definitely lighter but *both are growing*... doesnt look like bleaching (as far as i know).

Could this be an issue with trace elements?

My parameters have not changed. I do not do water changes as its a 4 month old tank (just test, top up and 2 part solution daily) and have a small/medium bioload.

Chaeto is the only source of nutrient export.
Screenshot_20210325-094332_Aquarium Note.jpg

Should i measure and dose trace elements?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-coral-colors-abcd-4-pack.html
Could it be adjusting to the lighting from old tank to new?




20210325_141743.jpg
 
Get an ICP test done. I had the same issue, ended up being I didn't have enough iodine. Started dosing Kent Tech I and my montiporas have been super happy and vivid since that.
 
I bet your PO4 is 0. Make sure you are using a quality test kit.
 
Maybe its just going thru springtime changes...kind of like what leathers do from time to time
 
Having run Zeovit you wouldn’t be carbon dosing would you.
when montipora grey out it could be potassium related
 
I see you have many zero readings. I assume you are using API test kits? Some issues that cause this are:

Light too bright
high salinity
low PH
high nitrates
Alk too high or low
calcium low
inadequate water flow
Pests such as nudibranchs

Some your readings are out of range.
recommended:

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .4
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-9
CA 440
 
I lowered the light intensity and it seems to have helped

I am running 2 x nicrew 100w on a 90 gallon

Had the whites at 40% and the blues at 60%

Now the whites are at 20% blues at 60%

I was getting very fast growth with the whites at 40% but the coral was turning lighter as mentioned above.

Now with the white lights at 20% the growth has slowed and nearly stalled but the colors have stabilized. Gotten darker but not like it was when i got the corals.

My guess is that the amount of nutrients/trace elements was not enough to facilitate the speed of growth and the light intensity was probably a bit too high.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new