Moody Duncan Coral

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've had my Duncan Coral for two weeks now, and the little guy had their tentacles out normally during the day, but now closes up during the day and opens at night. This started a couple of days ago, and my water parameters seem fine, it's only with the lighting where I notice it happening.

I do not have a par meter, however, it is just above the sand substrate on the ledge of rockwork in my 4.8g tank. I have my NICREW 30w light set to 50% for both blue and white light. I just find it interesting how now all of a sudden, it's not happy with this lighting. I plan on dropping it down a notch to maybe 40 or 30%, I just hope that's enough and that the other LPS corals don't complain.

Has anyone ever had a light moody Duncan Coral before? It was fine for almost 2 weeks with the same light, just found that to be odd.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I've seen that specifically with a Duncan coral but I've seen that happen with other corals occasionally. It can happen after long periods of time and they may switch back also. My suspicion is tha tin part it may have to do with other stuff reproducing in a system but I want to emphasize that's just a suspicion. I have also seen corals appear to alter behavior based on outsied weather conditions which is a real puzzler.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get some other takes on this. It still only comes out slightly, but hasn't been out in maybe a week. I'll check the water parameters again tonight, but any other thoughts until then? I am pretty puzzled here, especially seeing as everything else in the tank seems to be holding up well.

For a while, I placed it in a more shaded area (due to the original context of it only opening up at night), no dice, so I've placed it again on the sand bed but in light. I am lost here for sure.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My.duncan didn't open up the way it was at the lfs for about 5 weeks. It was showing growth well before it opened much.

Mine is about 7 inches dead center of the tank below 4 T5s that are right on the tank, not hanging. So i think they can adjust to higher lighting, it will just take time.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My.duncan didn't open up the way it was at the lfs for about 5 weeks. It was showing growth well before it opened much.

Mine is about 7 inches dead center of the tank below 4 T5s that are right on the tank, not hanging. So i think they can adjust to higher lighting, it will just take time.
Good info, thanks! What concerned me was that it was extended nicely for 2 weeks just after I got it, but has retracted since which felt like a canary response to something wrong with the tank.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info, thanks! What concerned me was that it was extended nicely for 2 weeks just after I got it, but has retracted since which felt like a canary response to something wrong with the tank.
Reading is important, I completely misinterpreted your post.

The behavior you describe sounds like it get more food at lights out. I've seen posts from people about training them to open during the day by stopping night feedings, but its just a few anecdotes. It very well could be lighting, but I wouldn't consider it unless you do have intense light on it, and if there has been a change. I would imagine that if it was too bright, it would have closed sooner.

I am not an expert

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting because I've read/heard night time is when PE happens in the wild, but idk about duncans specifically in that regard

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is really not much info to go on.
I suggest to post a picture if you can, it really helps to give clear impression of whats going on.
My mistake, I must've forgotten or it never went through. Here are a few!

I should also note that for the past two nights, I have only seen it partially come out (maybe 1/8 of the way out), which is also why I was concered.

Attachments

• 20230327_125819.jpg
    20230327_125819.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230327_125740.jpg
    20230327_125740.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230327_125730.jpg
    20230327_125730.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% take it out of the sand.
For context, I was trying to lower the light intensity for this guy. It was just above in the edge of that rock before. It was closed up for about a week on that ledge. Should it go back to that same position again? I am at a loss.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans can be moody in general, let alone 2 weeks into a new tank. I agree to raise it so the stalk is not in the sand bed directly. As long as light and parameters remain stable it will adjust. There are a pretty hardy LPS in my experience

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context, I was trying to lower the light intensity for this guy. It was just above in the edge of that rock before. It was closed up for about a week on that ledge. Should it go back to that same position again? I am at a loss.
Yes, back on the rock.
Sand will irritate it.
You lowered the intensity of light.
Try this tonight when lights out, shoot a little coral food, not much, at it. Wait 5 minutes and do some more. Use a turkey baster, tank water mixed with the food. Trying to stimulate feeding response.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans can be moody in general, let alone 2 weeks into a new tank. I agree to raise it so the stalk is not in the sand bed directly. As long as light and parameters remain stable it will adjust. There are a pretty hardy LPS in my experience
Alright, fair enough, I'll put the little guy back on the ledge. I figured that going from 100% open during the day to barely open within any 24hr period, that it was getting too much light or something else. This guy is playing with my emotions haha. Hope it comes out soon again.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, back on the rock.
Sand will irritate it.
You lowered the intensity of light.
Try this tonight when lights out, shoot a little coral food, not much, at it. Wait 5 minutes and do some more. Use a turkey baster, tank water mixed with the food. Trying to stimulate feeding response.
You got it! I hadn't tried the two times for feeding with the 5min in between, that sounds like a great idea. I'll try that tonight, thank you!

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be lower down, I would just not keep the flesh touching the sand directly. Additionally, new coral and anemones need time to to acclimate to tanks in the beginning and feeding can be stressful. IMO leave it and don't touch for a while - it will open up in due time.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be lower down, I would just not keep the flesh touching the sand directly. Additionally, new coral and anemones need time to to acclimate to tanks in the beginning and feeding can be stressful. IMO leave it and don't touch for a while - it will open up in due time.
Fair enough! I'll try the other poster's recommendation possibly after giving it some more time to relax on its old rock home again. Also, here is a picture of the little guy back in the ledge. Hoping it gets acclimated soon and is at least a bit happier being on the rock again.

Attachments

• 20230327_132245.jpg
    20230327_132245.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 66
Back