Moorish Idol sourcing??

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where have the successful moorish idol owners bought their fish from?

NY Aquatic
Tsm
Dr Reef
Divers Den
If I was to buy a moorish idol, I would get mine from the LFS because you can see it eating and it’s state of health

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where have the successful moorish idol owners bought their fish from?

NY Aquatic
Tsm
Dr Reef
Divers Den
Define “success”. Do you mean simply getting the moorish to eat, or do you mean keeping them long term?

I bought a moorish idol. I was successful in getting it to eat, but I’ve only had it for a month, so I am not successful in keeping them long term yet. I need more time before I can earn that title. I think 1 year is ok, and 2+ years is good with 5-7 years as successful.

OP
OP
S

sante21079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define “success”. Do you mean simply getting the moorish to eat, or do you mean keeping them long term?

I bought a moorish idol. I was successful in getting it to eat, but I’ve only had it for a month, so I am not successful in keeping them long term yet. I need more time before I can earn that title. I think 1 year is ok, and 2+ years is good with 5-7 years as successful.
Well, let’s just start with one that is eating. I can’t even get my current one to do that.
What was your feeding schedule and what did you feed?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, let’s just start with one that is eating. I can’t even get my current one to do that.
What was your feeding schedule and what did you feed?
First: note that all moorish idols are different. Especially where they are collected from.

I’ve had extremely good success with moorish idols eating LRS fish frenzy. He goes absolutely mad for this food. It’s also very high in calories. Don’t waste your time with mysis or brine - however, if that’s all they are eating then you have no choice.

I feed him 4-5 times a day - the more the better.

I also quarantined mine.

Another good trick (if your lucky): nori. Having a moorish that accepts nori is going to save a lot of work for you. Mine personally likes the green one, but I hear good things about red.

Mine does not accept pellets, and he initially did not accept the live blackworms I feed, but he’s been eating the worms for the past 2 days. So that means Moorish idol’s appetites can change.

So to sum it up: LRS fish frenzy and nori is the staple. An extremely lucky reefer will have their moorish eating pellets and have that in an autofeeder multiple times a day, but mine is doing really well without the pellets.

I had my moorish idol for over a month. I purchased him from live Aquaria Divers Den, and he was initially eating mysis and brine and was losing weight until I figured out the LRS trick.

OP
OP
S

sante21079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First: note that all moorish idols are different. Especially where they are collected from.

I’ve had extremely good success with moorish idols eating LRS fish frenzy. He goes absolutely mad for this food. It’s also very high in calories. Don’t waste your time with mysis or brine - however, if that’s all they are eating then you have no choice.

I feed him 4-5 times a day - the more the better.

I also quarantined mine.

Another good trick (if your lucky): nori. Having a moorish that accepts nori is going to save a lot of work for you. Mine personally likes the green one, but I hear good things about red.

Mine does not accept pellets, and he initially did not accept the live blackworms I feed, but he’s been eating the worms for the past 2 days. So that means Moorish idol’s appetites can change.

So to sum it up: LRS fish frenzy and nori is the staple. An extremely lucky reefer will have their moorish eating pellets and have that in an autofeeder multiple times a day, but mine is doing really well without the pellets.

I had my moorish idol for over a month. I purchased him from live Aquaria Divers Den, and he was initially eating mysis and brine and was losing weight until I figured out the LRS trick.
Thanks for the info. Guess I need to go with LRS Fish Frenzy…. The one I have currently (from LFS and Quality Marine) won’t accept anything. Have tried multiple pellets, nori, mysis and brine with No luck. Have another one coming in from another bender mid next week, that is eating.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Guess I need to go with LRS Fish Frenzy…. The one I have currently (from LFS and Quality Marine) won’t accept anything. Have tried multiple pellets, nori, mysis and brine with No luck. Have another one coming in from another bender mid next week, that is eating.
Don’t mix the moorish’s. They will fight each other. One per tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back