Moray Eels: Captive breeding

Nevadensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I have been lurking on this forum. I have been out of fishkeeping for over ten years and considering getting back into it.

I have refocused onto saltwater aquariums and Moray eels. This leads me to the question. Has captive reproduction of Muraenidae sp. (Moray eel) ever been accomplished, and better yet, accomplished with multigenerational consistency? I see it has been done (once?) with endangered Glass eels (H. Tanaka, et al. 2003) but virtually nothing is written about the aforementioned species, despite being somewhat frequently kept in aquaculture.

I have briefly read that their reproductive strategy is fairly complex and when attempted to do so on a commercial scale for farming purposes, resulted in failure. I was reading posts authored by @lion king (which has kept me very busy and invested, so thank you for your insight on this forum), that most cannot even keep most species of eel alive for more than >2-4 yrs, let alone reproduce them.

Any insight?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding is not my area of expertise, but I have never known of any. What many don't understand is the complexity and magnitude of the breeding facilities of places like ORA and Biota to achieve the success in breeding that they do.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back