More on Pairs/Paring my Fish.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like. whenever possible to keep my fish in pairs (apart from those that like to be kept in shoals or my tank is too small for) I have a number of fish I keep as pairs well some I can't be sure if they are a genuine pair or not but others I am sure of. In the past, I have kept dwarf angels in pairs and when I bought a Multibar angel I thought about getting another. However, Multibars are known to be one of the more difficult of the angels to keep and are classed as "expert only" Hmm well not sure about the expert bit but I did want to be sure my Multibar was well settled, feeding well and there were no issues with my other fish, in particular, my Regal angel.

10 months on and its thriving in my tank with no real aggression just the occasional nod from the Regal to say " I am still the boss here". Time to consider another maybe? Well, about 4 weeks ago Burscough Aquatic's got another 2 in but there was a problem. Of the two one was that bit bigger than the other and certainly bigger than the one I already have, however, it had a little swimbladder issue. Swimbladder problems usually occur when the collecting driver bring the fish to the surface too fast causing gas to build up in the swimbladder. The experts always say if you want a pair you must introduce them to the aquarium at the same time. However, I often don't do things by the book and would have to be ready to rescue one that took a battering so a difficult chancy decision to buy another.

The problem wasn't bad but given Multibars can be a difficult fish I decided to leave it for now. The other fish had a slight mark on one side and was a bit smaller as said. I really wanted the larger of the two as it IMO gives me the best chance of getting on with my existing Multibar. I went go to Burscough regular but the fish still showed signs of the swimbladder issue that is until Friday when I visited again and the fish had shrugged off the issue and was swimming normally. The problem although slight was evident if you know the signs, I could have reserved the fish of course on first seeing it but I took the chance of waiting even though I doubt they would have sold it to a customer until it was cured.

I purchased the new larger Multibar, acclimatised it (nope I never quarantine my fish) set it free from its bag and held my breath. I expected it to dive into my reefscape and either not to be seen for some time or for it to be chased around the tank by my existing Multibar, Regal or even my damsels but no none of it. The fish stayed out in the open others inc the regal came to check out the newcomer but no real aggression was shown. All to my surprise and much to my delight my existing smaller Multibar went straight to it and I thought here we go world war 3 but no they seem to hit it off immediately. 3 days later and its as if the new fish has been in the tank for months rather than days with the 2 of them often seen together.

Phew! What a relief, still early days but the signs couldn't be more encouraging. I must add this was a calculated risk and not one I took lightly.

I did manage to take a short video of the two of them together later on the Friday evening with the Regal giving a body shimmer just to remind it who is the boss fish in the tank. Link to it below.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are gorgeous fish, Atoll - and particularly splendid together!

Definitely a fish on my list, should I decide to add more dwarf angels to my tank. How are they doing with your corals?

~Bruce

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are gorgeous fish, Atoll - and particularly splendid together!

Definitely a fish on my list, should I decide to add more dwarf angels to my tank. How are they doing with your corals?

~Bruce
Thanks, Neither have touched any corals ...yet, I hope it stays that way of course.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO and IME you can often buck the sold called well established rules on keeping more than one of any species. I have kept many fish in pairs inc various dwarf angels or groups like damsels and cardinal fish amongst others. I like to keep mainly small species of fish in as big a tank as I can accommodate and afford to run. There are to my mind and experience lots of advantages in doing so from spawning to even being healthier. Another plus is kept as such they can often be far more interesting. A few years ago I read a post about Royal grammas and one guy replied nice fish but boring, well try keeping them as a pair and it might change his mind same goes for may fish as they can be so much more interesting watching their interactions and behaviour.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full agreement ... many of a fish's behaviours are intended to communicate with others of its species, and we don't get to see that often in a one-of-each kaleidoscope tank.

~Bruce

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! They just made my wish list for my next tank!

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! They just made my wish list for my next tank!
They are not the easiest fish to keep often classed as expert only but personally, I am not so sure about that. Do your research before purchasing. Try and get a fish (or 2) that have been in the LFS for 3 or 4 weeks along with the usual observations.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed the regal is that aggressive? You may have to make some one happy and sell them your existing regal and purchase two regal juveniles to try and pair?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed the regal is that aggressive? You may have to make some one happy and sell them your existing regal and purchase two regal juveniles to try and pair?
The Regal is not so aggressive the video was taken soon after the new Multibar went in the tank. Now its been in a few days all is well between them :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back