Most Humane Euthanization Help

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the freezing method. We never want to say goodbye to our fish, buts its the quickest and most humane way IMO.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish suffers from frost bite (which to me hurts like he$$) before hypothermia sets in.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
The nerves don't work in cold temperature, and the brain does not work either. so at the temperature come down, the fish would be sedated becasue the brain won't function. The brain won't receive any pain message because the nerves don't work.
In warm blood animals, the body maintain the body at 98.7, so the brain and nerve continue to work well. People who almost died of hypothermia always reports of a calm and peaceful sensation before they passed out (when they revived later on that is)
Hypothermia is the lowering of the bodies core temp over a long period. The skin is protected from frost bite.
A fish left in the freezer to die suffers from frost bite. It's body fluids freeze and burst. Frost bite hurts like heck! To me anyways.

Exactly! The colder the temp the faster the liquid freezes. It is the liquid in the fish that freezes first. It's called frost bite. Then after all the liquid freezes, (which has to hurt ya think) it dies.

I don't think anyones trying to start anything at all. This is a great subject that many of use are interested in. I for one hate to see anything suffer. Watching one of my fish suffer is unbearable. So I've done a lot of research :)

The fish are beyond able to feel any sensation by the time the body freeze. Of course i can only inferred this, but the brain is not functioning and the nerves are not functioning at this low temperature.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dioxide can be used to euthanize fish. Alka Seltzer is a popular source for carbon dioxide to be released in water. This method may seem innocuous enough but most people who have used this method say that their fish thrashed around a little bit just as if the fish were out of water (here is one person's story). You may need to decapitate or freeze the fish afterwards to ensure death. The AVMA supports this method and many universities advocate using this method as well (see the University of Washington's Policy for Euthanasia for Fish Species). Dr. Craig Harms (http://www.petplace.com/fish/euthanasia-in-fish/page1.aspx) describes this method; 8 tablets of Alka Seltzer is required per gallon of water.

"Alka Seltzer is a popular source for carbon dioxide....most people who have used this method say that their fish thrashed around a little bit just as if the fish were out of water...."
To me, this indicated that the fish is in quite a bit of discomfort.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Alka Seltzer is a popular source for carbon dioxide....most people who have used this method say that their fish thrashed around a little bit just as if the fish were out of water...."
To me, this indicated that the fish is in quite a bit of discomfort.

I had never heard of using Alka Seltzer until now.....so I did a couple searches and found that I wouldn't use it.....painful for the fish. The use of CO2 has been banned in the EU and experts have stated that what occurs is that CO2 causes asphyxiation and a peripheral acidosis which givings rise to pain. Not for me!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back