Most overrated fish or fish species and the most underrated

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding my fish and while watching my purple tang I got to wondering, why the heck did I buy this fish for $200? I mean the purple colouration is cool and it's active but so are coral beauty angelfishes. Got me thinking purple tangs maybe a tad bit overrated as a species. :eek:

So any fish you guys think are overrated and underrated?

OP
OP
S

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy priced "one of a kind" hybrid fish that are dull or just plain ugly. Not saying there aren't good looking hybrids but most of them are pretty ugly IMO.

Also black scopas tang, just a black fish I don't get it.

True about the black scopas. That and the black tang. Though at least the scopas has a better shape than the black tang.

Also I'll mention aberrant scopas tangs. Honestly don't get what's so special about them. Look like bad painted fish. :p

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated: fang blennies. Curious, bold (as in not easily frightened, active throughout the water column, pretty reef safe, and get along with pretty much any fish (except other fang blennies). And yet their combtoothed cousins always seem to take center stage whenever talk of blennies comes up on the forums.

I think many folks mistakenly jump to the conclusion they'll have a venomous, bloodthirsty piranha on their hands if they get one ... when nothing could be further from the truth.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated: fang blennies. Curious, bold (as in not easily frightened, active throughout the water column, pretty reef safe, and get along with pretty much any fish (except other fang blennies).
My canary fang blenny is great. It is a perfect reef resident, and manages to thrive in a very competitive and fast-paced environment. :)

recreative

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Overrated: Black Tangs are rated just fine! IMO Though maybe a bit expensive . . . nice size and personality, perfect black. Add the long nose and they are winners in my book. So many brightly colored fish, to have one of these again will be a pleasure and is a goal.

Underrated: Griffis Angel.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Naso tangs. They are attractive, but really just get far to large for the vast majority of aquaria they are kept in.

Underrated: mystery wrasse. They are lumped in with the rest of their family as hyper-aggressive, only wrasse even in a big tank types. That has not been my experience. I’ve had a mystery wrasse in a 130g with a peppermint hog, rubmarginius fairy, flame fairy, and many many non-wrasses, off years, I never saw any aggression, and it was a beautiful fish.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back