Most overrated fish or fish species and the most underrated

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Dragonettes, and tangs. Biggest pain working at a LFS, What do you mean i need a big tank for that "tiny fish" points to mandarin, baby naso, or yellow tang

Underrated: Wrasses to new hobbyists. I myself was guilty of this but many people I know just getting into the hobby dont see the appeal of wrasses. They re great fish just their boring body shape and tendency not to sit still they take more warming up to than the angels, blennies and hawks that steal the show with newer hobbyists.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overrated: black tang and gem tangs.this coming from a guy that has both.however I got them VERY cheap in a divorce.
underrated: yellow tailed blue damsel.not overly aggressive in a large tank.for $5 or less those colors pop.
orchid dottyback.that's the prettiest purple fish you can buy
t

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated: Wrasses to new hobbyists. I myself was guilty of this but many people I know just getting into the hobby dont see the appeal of wrasses. They re great fish just their boring body shape and tendency not to sit still they take more warming up to than the angels, blennies and hawks that steal the show with newer hobbyists.

That plus the fact that if you're going to keep them you generally should make or buy a lid for your tank as well, and plenty of people would rather not bother.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sure is a lot of dislike for hybrid clownfish around here. I've never kept ocellaris myself, but that's about to change; in a month or so I'll be selecting about 30 of the most unique-looking ones I can find for a new anemone tank setup. :)

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Clownfish. Literally everyone has em. Range from like $15 to hundreds (maybe even thousands). No matter how expensive clownfish are they pretty much have the same shape (excluding longfins) just different color.

Underrated: Fairy Gobies. Super tiny (1” max!) and shoals/schools nicely in a reef tank over 25g. All of them are so beautiful but not much is known about them in this hobby. Rarely see them for sale due to how difficult it is to keep em alive in captivity. I also think most of them come from Japan but not totally sure.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfin 52 said: "New
Ebilii Angel and cinnamon clown underrated. Overrated the flame angel they just don't play nice."

Ahhh...but in the right setting, there is nothing prettier or regal than a flame angel holding dominion by gliding through coral in it's tank! I have mine living with a very aggressive perk clown fish. Both realize the other is a bully, so they have learned to leave each other alone. They are living with a yellow watchman/shrimp pair and a mandarin as well. The flame does not bother either of them. If anything, the clown is the pain in the #@! It bites me every time I put my hand in the tank! And when I feed, it spits water out of the tank at me! Who know such a small fish could spit such a long stream of water so far!! LOL

rtparty said: "Overrated: Any clown fish, especially "designer". I will never put a clown in any of my tanks again."

And I think a tank is incomplete without one! Personality plus! They don't just swim around; they have attitude. :)

Last edited:

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated: mystery wrasse. They are lumped in with the rest of their family as hyper-aggressive,

Humm. Always wanted one, but was afraid to add it because I have 5 other wrasses. I wonder if you just lucked out with a fish with a nice personality that is in contrast to the norm?

ZachR32 said: " Overrated: yellow tangs Underrated: harlequin tusks"

I love the bright yellow of the yellow tang! I agree that that harlequin tusk is underrated; however, it's probably because they are little piggies when they eat and out compete other fish for food, and when they get large, even though they are docile fish, forget any little community fish that are in the tank. They will just become a snack! But oh sooo beautiful!

Last edited:

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Black Tang and Designer Clownfish.
Underrated: Pair of Watchmen Gobies with a pistol shrimp pair. Best I’ve ever done is two gobies and one shrimp.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding my fish and while watching my purple tang I got to wondering, why the heck did I buy this fish for $200? I mean the purple colouration is cool and it's active but so are coral beauty angelfishes. Got me thinking purple tangs maybe a tad bit overrated as a species. :eek:

So any fish you guys think are overrated and underrated?

Overrated: Clownfish of any species. For two reasons: 1) They are literally the dime a dozen fish of the saltwater aquarium trade 2) They are often little jerks to their tank mates

Underrated: halichoeres wrasses in general (ie Melanurus, Christmas, Red Lined). While there are people out there with them, they just aren't as common as tangs, clownfish, etc. and are often overlooked by novices.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back