Most overrated fish or fish species and the most underrated

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: Dragonettes, and tangs. Biggest pain working at a LFS, What do you mean i need a big tank for that "tiny fish" points to mandarin, baby naso, or yellow tang

Underrated: Wrasses to new hobbyists. I myself was guilty of this but many people I know just getting into the hobby dont see the appeal of wrasses. They re great fish just their boring body shape and tendency not to sit still they take more warming up to than the angels, blennies and hawks that steal the show with newer hobbyists.

I would definitely agree with the wrasses, although I would say that anyone who saw the likes of a mature Male Melanurus, Richmond's, Grey Head, etc. wouldn't find much wrong with the shape. I currently have a juvie melanurus in my tank and although people comment on it's activity and personality, they don't think much of it's color. . . .until I show them a video of what it will look like when it is mature. After they get done picking their jaw off the floor, they compliment me on my great choice. :D

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under rated: Assessors

Agree, awesome fish, my pair are constantly on the move and spawn regularly.

Underrated: Talbot damsel

I love my Talbot's damsels, super pretty. Also underrated are Kupang damsels (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) and Black Bar Chromis (Chromis retrofasciata).

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Gems and all sorts of “designer clowns.”
I plan to have all of the above. Only “overrated” fish I can comment on would be that hideous $1000 soapfish LA had for sale a few years ago.
Underrated? Flame hawks. They’re absolutely classic.
Flame Hawks are only underrated until you stick them in a tank with a bunch of shrimp...

shnapper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having had tangs and corals in an 8ft tank for yrs . I love them they are graceful , eat algae, dont eat corals, are territorial until its sorted even then they show a little bit of character once a pecking order has been established. I currently have yellows , purple and blue I intend to introduce another powder blue.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm. Always wanted one, but was afraid to add it because I have 5 other wrasses. I wonder if you just lucked out with a fish with a nice personality that is in contrast to the norm?

ZachR32 said: " Overrated: yellow tangs Underrated: harlequin tusks"

I love the bright yellow of the yellow tang! I agree that that harlequin tusk is underrated; however, it's probably because they are little piggies when they eat and out compete other fish for food, and when they get large, even though they are docile fish, forget any little community fish that are in the tank. They will just become a snack! But oh sooo beautiful!
I don’t man, hard to say if mine was special or typical of the species... It totally ignored my peppermint hog and flame wrasse trio in a 5 L foot tank.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people saying clowns are overrated lol. Some of the cheapest most colorful and personable fish a reefer can own! I agree that some/most of the designer clowns look like mutants, but I love my davinci clown. I got her for cheaper than most people pay for their precious yellow tangs.

Overrated: Yellow Tang

Underrated: Anthias

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: designer clowns (I have a Wyoming white or ice or something but it’s the first designer I’ve ever bought and I will not pay more than $75 for a clownfish.

Also overrated: royal gramma, sixline wrasse, and some of you are going to stone me — ANTHIAS in general. They look like glorified goldfish to me.

Underrated: halichoeres wrasses I agree, yellow and melanarus, vroliks, red-lined, Christmas, and RADIANT are wonderful. Also underrated are orchid dottybacks, flame hawkfish (one never had one eat my shrimp), longnose hawkfish, yellow watchman goby, sand sifting gobies, bangai cardinals. Solar fairy wrasse are underrated they’re really neat fish with a rare splash of blue, and finally— male banana wrasse (although a FOWLR wrasse).

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overrated: designer clowns (I have a Wyoming white or ice or something but it’s the first designer I’ve ever bought and I will not pay more than $75 for a clownfish.

Also overrated: royal gramma, sixline wrasse, and some of you are going to stone me — ANTHIAS in general. They look like glorified goldfish to me!

Funny, I thought the same thing about my anthias when I got him in a group buy. He is the least favorite of my fish and very aggressive.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated: Talbot damsel. I picked a damsel knowing most of you are running away, lol. Really is a pretty fish and not as aggressive as your typical damsel.

Overrated: royal gramma
Absolutely, I have 3 Talbots with my maroon clown and they all get along great! I’ve been feeding mine TDO chromaboost and the pink and yellow is getting as bright if not brighter than most anthias

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most overrated in my opinion is dwarf angels. I just never liked them lol
Most underrated would have to be a melanarus wrasse. So much nicer than a six line but with the same pest eating habits, and they are amazingly beautiful

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
underrated benney's overrated gangs I think especially powder blues had one that was a model citizen but had another that was an A

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back