For monti caps, this is one of my favorites
monti cap 12242017.JPG

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are talking about spongodes (not that I would consider it by any stretch to be the most desirable cap, not even a cap really). Here’s mine. Used to be a big colony on the rocks but after I lost control of it and it spread too much I sold the whole rock it was on. But it had begun encrusting onto the overflow.

One year ago roughly it was about 2-3” of encrusted growth on the overflow. Now I have to keep breaking the plates off as they shade the acropora below. Also have rainbow monti and a red cap. Eventually the overflow weir will be fully covered. I have to take a metal file and bone cutters to chip away at the spongodes as it grows over the overflow and covers the teeth on the weir, blocking flow. It is absolutely assaulted with light and flow. It’s an 18” wide weir. The colony wraps around the side to the glass. I’d estimate it’s about 14-15” wide and tall roughly.
a46c630d92ff53ab00d525cde4a5bcb2.jpg

OP
OP
TX_Punisher

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3mm3,

I think I had a piece of that years ago. Very nice.

Name?

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my grafted sunburst cap. This is not related to the WWC starburst unless they bought theirs from the same guy I got mine from, it grafted in his tank. I have two different starbursts actually, the other has purple base in it too but it's a bit on the small side. From what I have seen lighting and nutrients play a huge role in the coloration of monti caps. Heavy blue t5 lighting around 150 par and low but readable nutrients really make them pop if they have good polyp extension. In mine the green hasn't spread a lot but it wasn't a great blend to begin with and is spreading with time.

image.jpeg

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Copps has a nice old school really bright green with really bright purple rim, with pure white polyps. It is one of the nicest in my opinion. There is also the classic Tyree green aequituberculata which gets an interesting growth form to it.

The green with pink rim and purple polyps are nice too. Tyree flower petal and there are a few that are a little thicker and nicer yet.

geovento7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are talking about spongodes (not that I would consider it by any stretch to be the most desirable cap, not even a cap really). Here’s mine. Used to be a big colony on the rocks but after I lost control of it and it spread too much I sold the whole rock it was on. But it had begun encrusting onto the overflow.

One year ago roughly it was about 2-3” of encrusted growth on the overflow. Now I have to keep breaking the plates off as they shade the acropora below. Also have rainbow monti and a red cap. Eventually the overflow weir will be fully covered. I have to take a metal file and bone cutters to chip away at the spongodes as it grows over the overflow and covers the teeth on the weir, blocking flow. It is absolutely assaulted with light and flow. It’s an 18” wide weir. The colony wraps around the side to the glass. I’d estimate it’s about 14-15” wide and tall roughly.
a46c630d92ff53ab00d525cde4a5bcb2.jpg
How did you get to grow on overflow? I would probably let grow on the back

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get to grow on overflow? I would probably let grow on the back

In my experience montipora doesn’t stick to glass very well but sticks to plastic REALLY well. In this case it simply migrated to the overflow from its spot on the rocks as it encrusted. When I removed the main colony and rock it was attached to, I had to snap it off the area of the overflow it had grown attatched to and it just continues to spread. Same thing happened to a rainbow montipora. I’ve got a colony of roughly equal size of rainbow monti growing on the overflow as well you can see a little of in that pic. I’ve manually epoxied frags of red cap and flower petal monti cap to the overflow as well. They just encrust over the epoxy and onto the plastic.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck getting caps to stick to a glass wall covered with coralline. I guess that this is coralline primer.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Leng Sy is pretty sweet but the rim color changes throughout the day according to the led settings at the time. Very nice blue to very nice purple. Very bright green and white polyps.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my piece I picked up last month.
upload_2017-12-28_11-23-32.png
Beautiful piece. One of my favorites. Mine was very similar to yours. Eventually as it started growing out it resembled a plane old starburst cap. With maybe a speck of green and a couple yellow polyps hanging on. Hoping the yellow polyps and green bounces back over the starburst look. ;Nailbiting

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back