Mounting frags.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know if this is new but its new to me.

So if you're like me u hate plugs every where. Super glue can be a pain to work with under water, so can epoxy. Sometimes when you try to super glue it skins over when u put it in the water then it doesn't want to stick. Or a blob comes off and a fish eats it. And epoxy is always a pain to get to stick to anything but your fingers. So i decided to try something new.

I took some epoxy putty and got it ready. Then i hit the base of the frag with some super glue. I then glued the frag to the still pliable epoxy and it stuck nicely and instantly. Then i took the glue and applied it to the part of the epoxy i wanted to attach to the rock. I was now able to mount the frag easily to the rock and it stuck fast and i still had the ability to mold the epoxy in a natural looking fashion.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice, never thought of that, i usually just use gel cyano. sounds like a great idea, if you're the first i say you dubb it the dkerns method haha... but great idea ill probably try that next time if i can find any leftover epoxy

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works like you would never believe until you try. I've used the gel super glue a lot but never got good results.

Last edited:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takes us awhile but I think we all discover this technique on our own at some point :)

It works very well.

It's also a great way to mount frags to plugs. Use a tiny ball of epoxy with super-glue on top and bottom.

Don't know if this is new but its new to me.

So if you're like me u hate plugs every where. Super glue can be a pain to work with under water, so can epoxy. Sometimes when you try to super glue it skins over when u put it in the water then it doesn't want to stick. Or a blob comes off and a fish eats it. And epoxy is always a pain to get to stick to anything but your fingers. So i decided to try something new.

I took some epoxy putty and got it ready. Then i hit the base of the frag with some super glue. I then glued the frag to the still pliable epoxy and it stuck nicely and instantly. Then i took the glue and applied it to the part of the epoxy i wanted to attach to the rock. I was now able to mount the frag easily to the rock and it stuck fast and i still had the ability to mold the epoxy in a natural looking fashion.

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was shown this a couple years ago, like Logzor says we all end up doing the epoxy sammich method sooner or later :)

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely works like a champ. Wish someone had posted it up tho. Lol!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, I was told by one of the WWC crew members 2 years ago that they use this "sandwich" method for attaching a lot of their corals to the rocks. I think they also said it stays stuck much longer than JUST glue or JUST epoxy.

OP
OP
_sludgefactory

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, I was told by one of the WWC crew members 2 years ago that they use this "sandwich" method for attaching a lot of their corals to the rocks. I think they also said it stays stuck much longer than JUST glue or JUST epoxy.

Well it works great! So great it should be a sticky!

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the last post about it was 3 maybe 4 months ago, it's one of them threads that cycle like "HA problem help!" and "How do I get rid of cyano?" can't forget my favorite though "Are 2 tangs in a 40g tank to much?" it just keeps popping up :) yes it is great and yes it needs stickied but for some reason people never search through stickies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back