Mounting Kessil a360we to vent grill

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hood is only 9in tall and with the mounting hook provided the lights are around 3in off the surface. I am thinking about drilling holes into the top of the hood and mounting to the vent grill but that doesn't seem very sturdy. Any idea how to pull this off in a clean and non pita manner?
P1010371.JPG

20210408_164320.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know exactly how your vent grill is or if this would work, but i would not want to attach to the grill itself, but what about the cable through the grill and around a small diameter metal rod(long bolt/all thread/etc) that spans across the grill and onto your top. From the pics it does not look like you can see the top so if aesthetics are not a concern i think that would work if i understand your setup correctly.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. No idea what you are trying to mount it to

OP
OP
S

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know exactly how your vent grill is or if this would work, but i would not want to attach to the grill itself, but what about the cable through the grill and around a small diameter metal rod(long bolt/all thread/etc) that spans across the grill and onto your top. From the pics it does not look like you can see the top so if aesthetics are not a concern i think that would work if i understand your setup correctly.
It is actually kind of short, the base is 30in and the tank is 24in so the top is at 63in which I can certainly see. I was probably crouching down a bit for that pic. Still I could make your suggestion work with a bit of flat iron rather than rods. I am not set on what to use for the grill. Currently I use furniture grommets with a bit of wire mesh stuffed inside for my fans but I would be fine with almost anything as long as it isn't overly bulky.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the thing you have it mounted to and what is its purpose? Couldn't do away with it and just use the kessil mounting arms? I have 360we and you want them about 6 or 7 inches above the water.

OP
OP
S

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the thing you have it mounted to and what is its purpose? Couldn't do away with it and just use the kessil mounting arms? I have 360we and you want them about 6 or 7 inches above the water.
It is screwed to the top of the hood. This stand is 25 years old made long before the days of leds and mounting height but yeah I definitely need to get it closer to the 7in recommendation before sps starts to fill out so I figure I might as well take care of it now. It is an acrylic tank so I can't use a mounting arm but yeah I was hoping maybe someone would be able to recommend a stronger vent cover or something but if I need to I could just weld my own.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is screwed to the top of the hood. This stand is 25 years old made long before the days of leds and mounting height but yeah I definitely need to get it closer to the 7in recommendation before sps starts to fill out so I figure I might as well take care of it now. It is an acrylic tank so I can't use a mounting arm but yeah I was hoping maybe someone would be able to recommend a stronger vent cover or something but if I need to I could just weld my own.
I don't see why their mounting arms wouldn't work. I use them on a rimmed tank without issue.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could drill a hole on top of your hood slightly smaller than the light and just sit the Kessil on top of it.

It would be inconvenient to move the light every time you open the canopy, but it would work.

OP
OP
S

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could drill a hole on top of your hood slightly smaller than the light and just sit the Kessil on top of it.

It would be inconvenient to move the light every time you open the canopy, but it would work.
That is a good idea but my tank is 20in wide rather than 24 and that would put the height at 9in which is above the recommendation but BRS recommends 6.5in and says that they think the reason Kessil recommends 8in is due to legal reasons rather than function. But def if I had a 24in tank I'd raise it to at least 8in.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good idea but my tank is 20in wide rather than 24 and that would put the height at 9in which is above the recommendation but BRS recommends 6.5in and says that they think the reason Kessil recommends 8in is due to legal reasons rather than function. But def if I had a 24in tank I'd raise it to at least 8in.
I would argue 9" off the water is way better than 3". You have a canopy so light spill is not an issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back