Moving livestock to another tank

bink177

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
25
Reaction score
3
Location
Maryland
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have two saltwater tanks; one is a 60 gallon breeder and the other is a Fluval evo 13.5. I set up the 60 gallon breeder with a hob filter and kp aquatics live ocean rock back in May and I haven’t done anything with it since then. My Fluval Evo has been set up for a year now and it has coral (LPS and softies), inverts, a pair of clowns, and an anemone. I’ve decided that I want to break down my Fluval Evo, move everything to the 60 gallon, and sell my Fluval Evo and its equipment. However should I go about transferring my livestock?

However, since my 60 gallon was set up with live ocean rock, a mantis shrimp and a pistol shrimp hitchiked into my tank. The mantis shrimp looks almost green/yellow-ish and is about 2 inches. I think it’s a wennerae mantis. As for the pistol shrimp, it’s all white/almost clear and it’s about 2-3 inches and bigger than the mantis. Do any of these pose a threat to the livestock I’d like to transfer over? I plan on getting a sump next month so could I maybe put either the mantis or pistol shrimp in the fuge? The fuge’s dimensions are 9.5”x11.5”.

As for coral, I think I’ve seen some fire worms and other harmful critters. Is there a predator for those that can fit in my tank and not kill hermit crabs, emerald crabs, or cleaner shrimp?
 
Hello, I have two saltwater tanks; one is a 60 gallon breeder and the other is a Fluval evo 13.5. I set up the 60 gallon breeder with a hob filter and kp aquatics live ocean rock back in May and I haven’t done anything with it since then. My Fluval Evo has been set up for a year now and it has coral (LPS and softies), inverts, a pair of clowns, and an anemone. I’ve decided that I want to break down my Fluval Evo, move everything to the 60 gallon, and sell my Fluval Evo and its equipment. However should I go about transferring my livestock?

However, since my 60 gallon was set up with live ocean rock, a mantis shrimp and a pistol shrimp hitchiked into my tank. The mantis shrimp looks almost green/yellow-ish and is about 2 inches. I think it’s a wennerae mantis. As for the pistol shrimp, it’s all white/almost clear and it’s about 2-3 inches and bigger than the mantis. Do any of these pose a threat to the livestock I’d like to transfer over? I plan on getting a sump next month so could I maybe put either the mantis or pistol shrimp in the fuge? The fuge’s dimensions are 9.5”x11.5”.

As for coral, I think I’ve seen some fire worms and other harmful critters. Is there a predator for those that can fit in my tank and not kill hermit crabs, emerald crabs, or cleaner shrimp?
With respect to fire worms in your Evo corals, I would soak them is a 10% solution of 3% peroxide for 10 mintures.

On transferring most other things, a fresh water dip & observation for 1 hr should be sufficient.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new