Moving on up... IM 30L AIO to Planet Aquarium Crystalline 85g SPS Bare Bottom Reef Build Thread

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't resist a deal that came my way for a fully setup Planet Aquarium Crystalline 105g Reef package, so I will be breaking down my IM 30L Fusion AIO and moving to this new tank!

Here's a full tank shot of my current 30L, looking to go SPS again this time bare bottom in the 105.

IMG_6389.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new tank! You have a gorgeous tank now - it will be fun for you to fill the new space!

OP
OP
jd-woodlands

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started by cleaning the tank, sump, and all plumbing.

Dirty Tank...

IMG_6737.jpg

Crystal Trigger 36 Sump and all plumbing after vinegar bath

IMG_6738.jpg

Black Planet Aquarium maple stand...

IMG_6739.jpg

Changing color to white to go with the decor a bit better... after a 100 grit sanding to knock down the paint for good adhesion.

IMG_6742.jpg

Primer coat applied... hot and humid here in Texas today!

IMG_6743.jpg

Painted the bottom of the tank with black rustoleum paint and primer for a nice bare bottom. Wiped down the tank with acetone first.

IMG_6744.jpg

That's it for today while I wait for the primer coat to dry. Next steps are a light sanding and top coat on the stand!

OP
OP
jd-woodlands

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered some under cabinet LED's and door switches for lighting inside, any body have any practical cable management tips or recommendations? I've seen cable raceways mentioned any other thoughts? If you have the same setup or stand can you post some pictures of your setup underneath?

I'll need room for 2 apex energy bars, apex head unit, gyre controllers, and whatever else.. suggestions appreciated!

OP
OP
jd-woodlands

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added LED lights and a door switch to turn on when open. Learned my lesson with my other setup and not having enough light. Power cable to be relocated later, the rest of the cables are cable managed to the top.

5675C131-C345-49DD-A3BE-2CD0EAA1C8AA.jpeg

OP
OP
jd-woodlands

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your old tank, I have some bad news...

Your corals are so healthy and growing you might not have enough room in your new tank in order to buy more...

Sorry...

I keep finding room in the 30, I should be fine. Plenty more back wall, bare bottom, over flow, lots of places for sps to grow!

OP
OP
jd-woodlands

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the light hung and the tank wet today with just RO/DI. Installed a new IceCap Gyre 3k for flow, fired up the return pump and found out how loud a Durso drain is! Sounds like 3 toilets flushing.

So I will be converting to a Herbie design tomorrow, luckily this tank setup came with spare parts and had a Spears gate valve. Just need to plumb it in and adjust the drains.

OP
OP
jd-woodlands

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie drain conversion completed, what a difference!

Added salt today, installed heaters, brought up to temp, and moved over live rock that came with the tank that has been in some bins. Kept the live rock alive with heater, power heads, lighting, and water changes every 3 - 4 days.

Here is today’s progress pic, no attempt at aquascaping. Will need to wait a few days before I figure that out and how to merge the rock work with my existing IM 30L.

7990ED79-B75F-4E7F-8A67-45DC9CAE63FE.jpeg

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank with a sump setup, any plumbing experts let me know if I have any major issues!

FE2BD16D-035C-44FD-805D-6A7F72F01582.jpeg

36A8352B-0825-4BAF-B648-946CF629EB5E.jpeg

Starting to add water tonight, will take a couple of days to fill with RO.
I’m kind of confused about your 2 drains to your sump- where is the gate valve to control the flow from your full siphon drain and why is your emergency drain going to your return chamber (assuming you’re doing a Herbie setup)? Nevermind just read follow up posts. Nice set up!

OP
OP
jd-woodlands

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kind of confused about your 2 drains to your sump- where is the gate valve to control the flow from your full siphon drain and why is your emergency drain going to your return chamber (assuming you’re doing a Herbie setup)? Nevermind just read follow up posts. Nice set up!

Added the gate valve on the main drain, where should the emergency go? Does it really matter where in the sump it goes? Should it go to a secondary filter sock / cup?

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the gate valve on the main drain, where should the emergency go? Does it really matter where in the sump it goes? Should it go to a secondary filter sock / cup?
Most people drain the emergency into the same compartment as the full siphon/gate valved drain, or to the next compartment (skimmer or refugium compartment) so that the water will still be filtered. You could just plumb the emergency into the bulkhead next to your full siphon gate valve drain in the first compartment. Draining into the return compartment just returns dirty water back to the tank and probably massive amounts of air bubbles since the emergency drain does not flow smoothly and tends to splash water. I did just notice that the end of your manifold is draining back to the first compartment? That’s kinda confusing since this just recirculates filtered water in the sump and doesn’t return all the filtered water to the display tank. Correct me if I’m not seeing the manifold setup clearly! If I’m right then I think most people just plug/cap the end of the manifold since most devices receiving flow from manifolds just drain water back into the sump compartment before the return.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back