Moving - Transferring 6 year old tank - Help!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being specific for readers who may use this as a transfer template (pls do, post follow ups)

when you disconnect your sump and its bioballs or media or bricks those are just extra things we’ve been told to add, but are not needed. Same for sand.

******your live rocks do not take on replacement bacteria for having removed your surrounding surface area, only the live rocks are needed, they’re enough right now*******

since we don’t need bricks or bioballs or siporax as breakpoint surface area, don’t move dirty media. Move no detritus, we are covering all the ways you may still try to do that, before you do it, so your reef doesn’t die.

all your surface area is expendable, the live rocks aren’t, notice we are rather careful with those. when moving reef tanks you need to use accurate surface area mechanics so your stuff doesn’t die, and knowing during planning that your tank can instantly lose all that extra surface area, and exist on your clean rocks only, is vital prep info. To use anything other than accurate surface area science means someone is about to move some waste over, but don’t.

disconnect your massive extra unneeded surface area from the tank, move it all clean, don’t put back old media or sand, trust in what bacteria do in 2021, and tank moves will always skip cycle.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being specific for readers who may use this as a transfer template (pls do, post follow ups)

when you disconnect your sump and its bioballs or media or bricks those are just extra things we’ve been told to add, but are not needed. Same for sand.

******your live rocks do not take on replacement bacteria for having removed your surrounding surface area, only the live rocks are needed, they’re enough right now*******

since we don’t need bricks or bioballs or siporax as breakpoint surface area, don’t move dirty media. Move no detritus, we are covering all the ways you may still try to do that, before you do it, so your reef doesn’t die.

all your surface area is expendable, the live rocks aren’t, notice we are rather careful with those. when moving reef tanks you need to use accurate surface area mechanics so your stuff doesn’t die, and knowing during planning that your tank can instantly lose all that extra surface area, and exist on your clean rocks only, is vital prep info. To use anything other than accurate surface area science means someone is about to move some waste over, but don’t.

disconnect your massive extra unneeded surface area from the tank, move it all clean, don’t put back old media or sand, trust in what bacteria do in 2021, and tank moves will always skip cycle.
Interesting. So you don't think even taking a cup of sand is worth it, just simply all of the live rock, rinsed and fully submerged, is enough to skip the cycle and start the tank with fresh sand?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think it wouldn't hurt, and usually it doesn't, then wham occasionally:

It's not worth the risk

That's one little bit of old sand. Most won't have that happen. Not using any old sand has totally safe tracking

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stuff you want in the new sandbed tracks back down from the relocated live rock into the new sand. Pods, worms etc.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Alright, so I'll definitely rinse out the sand to prevent the clouding and whatnot. Will also mean that I can start transferring livestock sooner as I really don't want to wait 3-4 days for the water to clear so I can move me and my fish to the new tank.

Along the same lines, this might be a dumb question, but what is the best way I can do my initial fill of this tank? Even if I buy a 200GPD RODI unit, (I have a 90 now), it's still going to take pretty much two days to fill a 120. Is there not a quicker way to do this? Maybe some sort of local aquarium service that can fill it?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is truly one for the team to know, I deal mainly in pico reefs. one gallon in hand, Im down for two 100% water changes lol. spoiled rotten in fact.

if it was my city for sure id call LFS and they'd truck it over $ but not every place has that option

team what's best mass water access trick for moves, Ive taken that part for granted in all prior moves never did see how they secured all that pristine clean fresh water/ $

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just thinking now, if I'm moving all my live rock over, that means I would need to do that the same day as I move the fish, since if I don't the current 90G will be without live rock and beneficial bacteria. Am I thinking that through correctly?

1. Get 120G tank plumbed and setup with sand and water
  2. Transfer all live rock and fish/coral in one go

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that will mean no sand settling time either, so a strong pre rinse is needed

and when you move live rock swish it off in water so it carries no waste

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have room in your sump or anywhere in your tank to cure some media for a few months? Then move everything? Then you can move the media to the new tank.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that will mean no sand settling time either, so a strong pre rinse is needed
Well to be clear, the time between getting the new tank plumbed and setup and actually moving everything over does not have to be the same day. I'm willing to wait a few days for the tank and new sand to settle.

However, I will definitely be rinsing the sand beforehand regardless. Do you think I could order the sand now and start rinsing to prepare? Could I just keep the live sand in the bags after rinsing until it's ready to be moved into the new tank?

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have room in your sump or anywhere in your tank to cure some media for a few months? Then move everything? Then you can move the media to the new tank.
Well I'm moving into the house in about two weeks. However, almost a year ago I purchased a ceramic block and put it in the sump. It's been there ever since.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes for sure. tap rinse the sand as long as it takes to be literally cloudless, final rinse in ro, set aside in water or as a lump of rinsed grains its bacteria did not matter in the safety of the transfer, ridding cloud was all that mattered. the live rocks will carry the entire bioload upon setup, re ramp down the lights in the new tank, all set.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm moving into the house in about two weeks. However, almost a year ago I purchased a ceramic block and put it in the sump. It's been there ever since.
Hmm, well I was gonna say if you had time to seed as much bio media as you can. When I moved, I went from a Reefer 250 to a 525XL. I seeded a TON of stuff a few months before. Made it a bit easier on my tank.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, well I was gonna say if you had time to seed as much bio media as you can. When I moved, I went from a Reefer 250 to a 525XL. I seeded a TON of stuff a few months before. Made it a bit easier on my tank.
Yeah, I have a ceramic media block in there from Marinpure that I would think would be host to quite a lot of beneficialy bacteria.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the move go?
Just got the Red Sea 625 installed and setup in the new house yesterday. Filled with water. Currently dealing with a little leak which I just made a new thread about. Can't do the move and fish transfer until that's cleared up.

Next steps:
  • Fix the leak
  • Transfer one live rock and ceramic block from the old tank to the new tank
  • Dump in Dr. Tim's
  • Wait a day or two
  • Do full rock/fish/light/coral transfer.
I'll keep you guys updated!

PS: Rinsed all live sand for hours a couple days before new tank arrived from @brandon429 recommendation. Took hours, but rinsed clear. Should set us up for success when we add it in.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok can’t wait to see pics

if it’s a cloudless initial setup that’s zero irritation, zero cycle certain. nice work and planning and ordering here

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey them outcomes

its amazing how these reef procedures are medical-like or veterinarian like in that the reef tank is at one point parted out and totally on finite life support exactly as surgery

then reassembled into an collective organism that doesn't get sick, its immediately able after the assembly operation with a little light phasing rehab.

when moved live rocks have common tufts of algae, the rasping we do and metal/removal then a quick peroxide zap on the clean surfaces is actual dental procedure against plaque and gumline adherents, the coral zones are the gums and we're rasping with a pick right up next to them, to free up space for coralline currently taken by an encroachment. the heartbeat of the system are the living bioslicks on the live rocks that comprise the filter, they stay beating, and alive, even if you kept your rocks out of water the whole time.

they're that tough. that's why clean moves don't recycle.

rip cleans and reef moves are surgical and dental procedures transferred over to aquarium practice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey them outcomes
Was just about to update!

Fixed the leak today. Took some silicone grease on the o-rings and we're all dry! Added the salt today right to 35PPT. Installed the new MP40. All the water is pretty much heated to 79F.

Tomorrow, I'll be taking the ceramic block and live rock, putting them in a bucket of saltwater with a small heater and powerhead, and taking them over to the new house. I'm gonna be dumping in all the sand, waiting for it to mostly clear up (hopefully won't take long at all), and then adding the rock and block. Dr. Tim's after, and then wait a day or two.

Target goal is to move over livestock Friday.

I'll let you guys know how that goes tomorrow!

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just about to update!

Fixed the leak today. Took some silicone grease on the o-rings and we're all dry! Added the salt today right to 35PPT. Installed the new MP40. All the water is pretty much heated to 79F.

Tomorrow, I'll be taking the ceramic block and live rock, putting them in a bucket of saltwater with a small heater and powerhead, and taking them over to the new house. I'm gonna be dumping in all the sand, waiting for it to mostly clear up (hopefully won't take long at all), and then adding the rock and block. Dr. Tim's after, and then wait a day or two.

Target goal is to move over livestock Friday.

I'll let you guys know how that goes tomorrow!
Good luck!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back