MP10QD Wet-Side Problems.

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 months ago I bought 2 MP10's at my lfs and after 2 months the ceramic busted on one of them. I replaced the wet-side and thought maybe I needed to clean the pump more often so after the first month I cleaned the new wet-side and the next month this one broke too. I would expect after spending extra money I would get a better pump that would outlast my 12 year old Koralia pump.

Is this a common problem for others? And if I decide to keep the pumps and not sell them is there anything I can do to stop this in the future? $65 every couple months isnt worth it to not have cords in the tank.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to check with the OP of this rhread to see how he made his fix silent...

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll just sell the pumps and give the Nero 3's a try. Its crazy to buy a pump that has to repaired or replaced this often.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something drastically wrong, I would reach out to Ecotech. You did state it was after cleaning, I would look into what was used, or what might have happened. I have 4 MP10's and a spare wetside, the oldest are almost 4 years, and still running...

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is something drastically wrong, I would reach out to Ecotech. You did state it was after cleaning, I would look into what was used, or what might have happened. I have 4 MP10's and a spare wetside, the oldest are almost 4 years, and still running...

The pump wasn't very dirty so I used vinegar and water.

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50/50 vinegar/water like Ecotech suggests. I put them in the mixture and scrubbed them with a tooth brush for a few minutes. I probably didn't even need vinegar, the pumps were just a little slimy.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The pump wasn't very dirty so I used vinegar and water.
Use citric acid instead of vinegar. Vortechs will get problems if you soak them in vinegar

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use citric acid instead of vinegar. Vortechs will get problems if you soak them in vinegar

If vinegar causes problems will Ecotech replace the wet-side since they tell you to use vinegar? They were also only in vinegar for a few minutes until while I cleaned them.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If vinegar causes problems will Ecotech replace the wet-side since they tell you to use vinegar?

I do not know if they will replace it for you. I would contact them and see what they have to say.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back