MP40 flow pattern for SPS dominate tank

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 on my 240 cube. I run them through all the various modes throughout the day. With all 4 being on 100% constant from around noon until 2. Really kicks up the flow and gets things blowing around. I don’t use the feed mode because when I do, one of my pumps always comes loose and it’s irritating. Haha

corey

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 240 gallon tank that is all SPS, I have 2 MP 40's, 1 on each side in the middle about 10" from the top. I have them offset slightly so the flow doesn't crash directly into each other. The tank is 5 feet long. They are set to reef crest 100% 24/7. My tank is very heavily stocked with live rock so there are plenty of hiding places for the fish. I am getting fantastic growth and I know some of it is due to all that flow. My lighting is MH. The cons are when both powerheads ramp up at the same time. It rams a bunch of water down the overflow so it is very noisy. Its not a little water but a big surge. We don't really use the living room where it is so its not a big problem for us. We kind of like the waterfall sound. there is a spot where I cannot put coral because it blasts it too hard. I have a calicali staghorn that has grown up to the blast area then stopped. It is going around it. These powerheads have been running full power for a year and a half with no issues. If your on the fence about spending the money on MP'S I would say they are definitely worth it. I keep a spare wet side for (just in case). Take care
Wow I have a 220 with 4 MP40s at 100% reef crest 24/7. Now I’m wondering if I have too much flow going on.

air_run

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have a 220 with 4 MP40s at 100% reef crest 24/7. Now I’m wondering if I have too much flow going on.
You are wondering!!! I have (4) MP60's and (2) Maxspect Gyre 350's waiting for my 220g. Hmmm... I may have to rethink this, lol.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone through a revision with my flow and really focused on the 20x to 40x turnover recommendations for reef tanks. I have a mixed reef 65g DT with 2 MP40s that were running reefcrest at 42%. I was losing an occasional euphyllia head here and there. I now run at 26% during the day and 20% at nights and all my corals seem much happier and visible growth is showing around the tank. I am like 30x turnover now which seems perfect for my mixed reef.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.0%
Back