MrJoels Fluval Evo 13.5

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, let me know how the pavona does in the 13.5. Been thinking about one myself.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a new Acan when I was feeding them tonight.
SmSVxWAGhEd-EK5MFMoxw3pCs3ukhB3dwJ27LmvvnbLnwmxFHj8iYD91JnOomfub9GNQ8XOUb9hmiVafFAqtAtWXnTtJ_vYk4ANT1-OIA06F30pkVB-uehQMMkskRAospb7YR7ovAIqKjogBRBHlVfUoCRIEANh1Pil9nXLWVIL4FBWJyTzh7rrf6gYoXilWZHex38pQS_vD_MydnZnWBskQhzQCpoGw9rtugDxNYskZGxv5LrkFjRwwTZiSMK8IiAaw5k9NKiDCQXl1g9GxIa6vWiVK5l1uJqL6kIVNW9Dcf1k_hjn0QeqluTOz3lfzY87WLF-CRzrN_k1dSwvA4HmfoxpALMZ7wb7zqVxH0YLlKam1sFrekt3LP0FJoWRkd_0Cv9fyJo7gbIVvVIrpI_iabOknPS6tBRYjSaPR_Jr_8cd39ffv5ufwm-MMTRReF-XbtaNuTsuE-Gmo-N3xCLqaBigyYfcfPz1Xu5Y8TkjoPGFtbT6sJFB2YH-p09AvU2qGt4aR71-TdvkSzXAIqg4lG7XzHQaiwIaXcVIMJhtYmuHzj4Vm0oTpsPCZ7lzV7b-HXg2HMblrCBxtFKHyP6Ml9RPzkKRtGdbfXLMM12huOm-UCsdn=w699-h496-no

Also found a baby snail that looks like it is starting to form it's shell.Super blurry but when I was trying to get another shot it slipped into a hole in the rock. I hope it is the Trochus reproducing and not the Turbo. That turbo is a jerk.=P
Mkk0992V-UmbbvLo8m0RvRxa_KIY7lkEHft6D0BOpkbh6ZbT76hDNSKlF56PDphzIzRGOjQW5YqWKCkOhzhMvCyG8r-qfmPsD_GudzKdftTh2ffi5W8mrqQ1kJsNVXaAYsP8VMnu_Q1WhvYRfBQB_Z1pbciCT46OrQ8PUlTUXNlM680CK9V7DN-C8pi7KC0nDaKx9-VsymKjeJtndN-W2SsrMEuyKX-vcZ9X5ufM5LGy02RfZxizJgcqtw4PU-pzhC3rT8oX_IZlGX8ZIoKZCh14fjhkdmVb76dlETsQ6c7bb3ePMm6YxhCEZfq7gW9MK-sz9ZhPyC-uVMW4xBjkV5ageb5fQwPrSDRfXUg4u6x9Ofj-hHCkP85QgvddqlIP1cNMRXD4zAG3fErdakEqblIXsXIlOP4UXKQSpgEjjcCVQ_NP6MhKJ3daeHg7xRCxVV4U9P93Rjb2Q1tO-W2gT4qAimv_MtcHrnsPawhoDg33X7mVQd94mv-CeCpt8XMO_AXMYvywGgksyQcc23lPJwGahblkyaUZHarEZpO8-NxgdHiM8h5KVKGqW6oj2Lc2q3ZpUdbvVUEcJPTQkHmBF51eAQ1TE5vK9qYe7ty-_a5tX401=w681-h908-no
Looks like a stomatelma

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made 2 more additions when I went to "just get water" the other day.
Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.34.33 AM.png

Weed coral or not I love the way Xenia look.

Screen Shot 2017-06-07 at 10.34.18 AM.png

and a frag of Pavona Maldivensis. It has some worms on it. I can see little feather duster looking filter feeders popping out on the left hand side.
Same thing happens to me even though I bet we go to different stores!

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I had some hitchhikers on the Pavona Maldivensis.

The orange one on the top left and multicolored one in the middle popped up in the last few days. Before that it was just a few filter feeding critters here and there I could see.
I am curious what they are.

Christian H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia love light. They will continuously reach up to the light in my case. What I did to prevent mass growth is put them on a 6mm diameter cylinder facing up so they wouldn't grow that fast. Good luck!

Christian

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I had some hitchhikers on the Pavona Maldivensis.

The orange one on the top left and multicolored one in the middle popped up in the last few days. Before that it was just a few filter feeding critters here and there I could see.
I am curious what they are.

Little tough to tell from the video but looks like varieties of fan worms. I have same ones in my LR. The pinkish/orange ones are my favorites of the bunch

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fan worms I can Figure out. I am waiting to see what the orange thing is. It does not look like a worm and is not reactive to physical stimulus. It seems to be running an inch an inch or so down the side where I am guessing the frag was cut. It is soft and orange. I would think it was some form of sponge but I am not familiar with any thin sting like sponges. But then again I am not familiar with many varieties of sponge. I need to try to get a better picture of it. All images are fuzzy but it is small and moving alot in the current and appears to have a soft texture which may contribute to the lack of photo definition .

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this last year Was rough for my tank. When I lost my fish to velvet the "reef safe" treatment seemed to mess a lot of things up. I had trouble getting things back even after many large water changes. I ended up losing several corals and eventually lost my motivation to keep on top of it. I was disheartened and ended up neglecting my maintenance.
I have since got back on top of the tank care. I am planning on shifting my rock work back towards the read of the tank a to open up more sand bad in the front.
Next month I will be upgrading my lighting , removing the skimmer to replace it with the InTank chamber one basket and maybe ad the the Innovative Marine Chaetomax led to the back of chamber 2 for a refugium. I am also looking at maybe changing the in tank pump for my thermoelectric chiller to a canister that I could plumb the chiller and a chaeto reactor to the return line. (canister -->reactor--> chiller-->tank) From what I have read the flow restriction on the return line from the canister should not be an issue and by chilling the water after the reactor it would help compensate for any heat introduce in the reactor.
Any one have real experience here? Is my idea doomed to fail?

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am overhauling my tank. I cleaned all the pumps and rearranged the rocks a bit to move the rockwork towards the back more and open up some sand in the front for lower light livestock.
I removed the Skimmer, plugged the chamber 2 hole, siphoned the detritus from the 3 chambers and added Intank baskets in chambers 1 & 2.
I put floss, Chemipure Blue, and carbon in the chamber 1 basket. (Not sure what else I may do there)
I scraped off the paint on chamber 2 where I affixed an Innovative marine ChaetoMax light. The clean chaeto arrived today from AlgaeBarn along with a fresh supply of pods and phytoplankton.
I am also looking at timer/controller options to get the day/night cycles automated also to get the tank light and fuge lights offset from one another. Because I hear running the fuge light at night helps with nighttime CO2 buildup and PH fluctuations.
My inline CO2 scrubber cant help me now without the skimmer. =P

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since adding the InTank baskets the water level in the tank is higher and I am getting salt creep around the rim constantly & it is getting annoying. I seems to me the chamber 1 basket is 1/4" too tall since the Surface skimmer is 1/4" higher than it can be placed on the other side of the bulkhead. I may need to trim down the top of the inTank basket to let the skimmer be placed lower.
I also reshaped the surface skimmer overflow as it was spilling alow of water to the side and some bypassing the basket by running to the side of the chamber. So I heated the plastic and reshaped the plastic so it was angled to direct the flow away from the edges.
Also, my Chaeto Algae seems to be getting lighter. I checked my Nitrates and they are now almost undetectable. I guess I will need to start feeding the tank more to provide enough nutrient to keep the algae alive. I plan to move my tank to another room this weekend. Once that is done I will be adding fish again so the issue should resolve itself around then I think.

Could having the ChemiPure blue & carbon in chamber one be reducing nutrient available to the Chaeto in chamber 2 enough to make a difference? Should I try swapping the Chaeto to chamber 1 and the ChemiPure blue and carbon to chamber 2?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you running both Chemipure and regular charcoal? If you only have one or two fish I would remove the chemipure and see if the chaeto returns to normal. It should make no difference which compartment the chemipure or chaeto are in. Chemipure is a slow acting medium, I believe it's the over all low nutrient level.

Hipertec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of the surface skimmer overflow with the new reshape form?
Would love to see how you did this. I just an intank media from another tank I got for cheap. It works but the surface skimmer does run thru the edges and would be nice to see how you fixed this.
I too have an issue with the inside tank water level running higher and salt creeps when using my stock hood/lights.
But I just converted to a Kessil A150W and removed the hood which helped with the salt creep but now the water evaporates much more.

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a not so great photo. It may not be too pretty but the water over the surface skimmer is much better now.
IMG_1073.jpg

I also added a pair of Wyoming white clowns.

IMG_1095.jpg

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you getting the tank up and running again!

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what this white/grey fuzzy stuff is? I see it on a few snail shells and on all of the remaining old pieced of rock. I tried searching but have not found anything that looks like a match.
IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an updated pic of the whole dirty tank. Still not thrilled with the rockscape, I am still re-arranging things. Also, set up the Reefkeeper lite yesterday controlling tank and fuge lights as well as the heater. Hopefully, the light being on a controller will help to keep my photo period under control. It has been very inconsistent and frequently it was run over 12 hours.
IMG_1156.jpg

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a month and a half of running the Chaeto in the 2nd chamber, I think my Nitrate level is too low. Chaeto is light green and not growing. Nitrate is not registering in any significant way on my RedSea test kit. The water looks like it has an ever so slight tint from the side but the view from above it is almost at the zero level.

Nitrate: ~0 ppm

Phosphate: 0.031ppm

From what I have been reading it sounds like Nitrate at this level will stall the growth of both macroalgae and corals. With the introduction of the clowns, my feeding has gone up and I Still feed the corals a few times a week. My Emerald crabs have actually started coming out while feeding the coral from a pipette, and grabbing food as it comes out of the tip. The larger of the two has even taken to grabbing the pipette and pulling to toward its mouth. It makes me laugh every time. I need to get a video of this.

I am looking at options to raise my Nitrates a bit to ~2ppm. I am hesitant to just feed more as I feel like I am already feeding a lot. Some people list success with using potassium nitrate or alternately Seachems Flourish nitrogen. (Not the regular flourish which adds other components like copper)

Do you think nitrates being so low is likely the reason my cyphastrea is fading? Or maybe I just need to move it to a corner with less light even though the stock light is not very strong on the bottom anyway.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a month and a half of running the Chaeto in the 2nd chamber, I think my Nitrate level is too low.

Do you think nitrates being so low is likely the reason my cyphastrea is fading? Or maybe I just need to move it to a corner with less light even though the stock light is not very strong on the bottom anyway.

The cyphastrea is from Neptune? If so, mine faded too. But hasn't stopped it from growing. Prob a lighting adjustment issue.

As for nitrates, you can dose sodium nitrate... ie slug killer

OP
OP
MrJoel

MrJoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cyphastrea is from Neptune? If so, mine faded too. But hasn't stopped it from growing. Prob a lighting adjustment issue.

As for nitrates, you can dose sodium nitrate... ie slug killer
Yep. I got mine there too. Really good price for the size. but the color fade had me worried. Polyp extension still looks good though. I think I will swap place between the Xenia and the Cyphastrea. See if the darker corner lets it show better coloration.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back