OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he is not that shy during breakfast, so it was easier getting this one. Also was able to get the white whale in there as well. LOL. He is starting to be a ham I think.
DSC_6358.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the most active and fun new fish in the thank. I really like this little guy. He was a little shy and scared the first few days after getting him and made e a home under a rock in the sand. Now he has found a house in the rocks and is all over the place. Starting to color up real nice as well.

DSC_6371.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was at the LFS today and decided to pick up a test coral for the display. I didnt want to take an expensive one from the frag tank. Well anyway I picked up a gonipora with a couple colors in it. Its in the tank and already out. So I'm happy about that. Well see how it goes. Tank has been stable, so I dont think I have anything to worry about. Will try to take a pic tomorrow.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as I got the camera out the fish were more interested in me so I got a few extra pics. Since I only have one dime size coral, my fish are liking the attention. This is a cool side picture showing the new rock work.
DSC_6421.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. WEll the good news I have is that I went to Reef Palooza. The bad news is that they had all kinds of wonderful stuff. It was the best show I have ever attended and the assortment of things was unbelievable.

One of my favorite pieces I picked up was from the Frost booth. I have been eyeing the Chicago Sunburst anemones from Frost for a while, but had no way of getting them. They did the write up on them a while back here.

This is a picture of a couple Colorado Sunburts they brought in. This was an old pic
IMG_9969.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had to have it so I bought the biggest one he had. Easiest way to get lineage on one of these. I had a rock in my main display for an anemone. It has a nice big hole in it so that the foot can fit in it. I took the rock from my display and cleaned and placed in the frag tank and the anemone went right in and has never moved. i'm really happy with this anemone. Its gorgeous. The pictures do not do it justice. I did get a pretty good sting from it while feeding. Never had a bubble tip give me a sting before.

Here is a pic of it in my frag tank while it was getting settled. its more stretched out now.

DSC_6504_1.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this nice torch there too. Had to have it. it was hiding under some merchy water, but looked good.

DSC_6476.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have most of my corals in the frag tank now. Had a salinity issue that killed off some of my prize torches, but things are back to normal now. Hopefully can keep things at bay.

Frag tank FTS
DSC_6527_1.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread.
How is the main display doing?

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i have had a few hickups unfortunately. Once ibput the fish in and wverthing was doing great. I put a few corals in. Some frogspawn and gonipora. They were doing great.

I decided to add some pods, snails, and live macro algae. Once added. My fish got ich. I tried to treat them in the tank but none of that crap worked.

I had to pull out all the fish I could catch and put in qt. The ones left were reduced down to 1.014 specific gravity for little over month.

I lost my bariene tang and scopes in qt. They. Were eaten alive by the ich. I was doing some maintenance on my sump and turned valve off on uv sterilizer for 2 weeks when I added the cleanup, crew and algae. If it was on. I would have never seen this issue. Ughhh.

So taking the tank back down and up again set things back a bit. So I had to buy some new fish. I purchased qt fish. However the anthias I kept getting had urenea and was wiping them out. Had to do 2 orders of them. That disease also took my copper banded butterfly out.

I finally found methaline blue and put the fish in that, and it stopped the disease. It's been crazy.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have most new fish in display, with exception to a copperband and midas blenny I got local that are going through qt. Didn't want anymore urenea.

Now. After taking down salinity and back up. Tank then went through a massive ugly stage of algae. It's now over and I have corals in again. Moved some torches to the display. Lost a couple in qt tank. Saw yesterday that another one was going down so I decided to dip it and then put in display.

To my surprise. About 20+ flat worms came off of it. Nasty things. It was like night of the living dead. One even came out the mouth of one polyp. Never seen this before. The corals were dipped before putting in qt tank.

I have now taken all torches out and dipped. I found o e on another torch but that was it. All of the pack was on that one torch. I now have to monitor this for eggs and such. Maybe that is how they got introduced.

So it's been a long road and not a great one

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to decide when to move my anemone to display now. I have pods and critters in display. Chalice doing fine and euphylia, but tried a sps and it was no go. So may wait on coraline algae before trying sps again.

Parms are super stable

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....decision made. Put anemone and some torches over to the main display. Clowns dove in
DSC_6654_1.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple torches set in position. The 2 on the right I glued to the rock yesterday. The one that is on the left. I just dipped it again and put it in the display. So it will be out later. This will be the torch tower.

DSC_6671_1.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture look great.
Bad luck on the fish and flatworms. Anything idea what kind of flatworm it is?
I had them as well before and they liked the SPS too much. Was battling them for a long time.

Good luck

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some type of lps eating flatworm. Not sure what kind. I had to scrub all my euyphilia down and dip them all. Interesting enough. They were all concentrated on one coral except one stragler.

After tooth brush and bone scraper scrap down and several dips. No issues now. Unfortunately they did eat som of my most rarest torches. As a matter of fact. That is all they were on. Other lps no issues.

I have some pics on phone. Will try and post a pic later.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the coral in Tupperware on top of a towel with a high concentration of revive. I used one capful of revive to this little tiny sandwich Tupperware bowl. These things just peeled off the coral like you wouldn't believe. It didn't seem to kill them however. I actually took the coral out and put them in new baths every 10 min or so. Just to make sure i got most of them on the first dip. All came off on the first dip.

However leaving the worms in the concentration for over 20 to 30 minutes seemed to have effect but not lethal. Anyway this is what they looked like.
LPS_flatworm_2.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im hoping the torch makes it. Its one of the ones I got from Palooza. Its hanging in there. We shall see.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those worms are huge.
I always understood that these dips would kill the pests. Seems like the flatworms are bothered and try to escape only.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back