OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I got my shipment of Rock, sand, and salt in for the aquarium redo. This is going to be a really long process.
My first phase is to glue the rocks together like I want them and then start the cure process.
20200924_114007_1.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some of the rock in the house and started to play with it a little bit. Made this first stack to see if I like it. Not sure I'm happy with it. I only opened 100lbs of rock so far, so I think I need to open a couple more boxes to find the right pieces. My thooughts are to build another similar structure and then make a bridge between the 2 structures.
20200924_182639.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the comments. I appreciate it. I hope I can get it back to good luster after I finish breaking it down and bringing back up from scratch. I'm hoping it will not be too difficult.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well while I'm breaking down the main display. I have been putting corals in the frag tank. I couldn't resist myself so I have picked up a few nuggets. Here are a couple of my donuts
DSC_5780_1.jpg

DSC_5782_1.jpg

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I never mess with the sand. In some places it gets thin due to pumps, but I keep adding sand as needed. The deeper the better.
I am looking into adding some more sand into my 75g. Is there a specific way you recommend? Just turn all the pumps off and dump it in?

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off. I only use live sand. I have done 2 ways. I turn pjmps off to start in both methods. First method.

1. Put live sand in 5 gallon bucket. Add water from display and stir sand and get cloudy milk out of it and the preservation block thingy. Drain excess water and repeat several times to acquired rinse level. Once complet scope sand and put in aquarium. Thus is preferred method for less mess in aquarium.

Method 2
2. Cut bag open and fish out that preservation thingy. Scope sand directly out of bag and place in aquarium. You can actually put bag on there if you have spot or room. This will cause a HUGE cloud storm in aquarium and put white dust all over everything and make water foaming at surface. You will want to have filter socks in sump for this one. You will need to just let skimmer cup overflow in sump drain for a bit. It will go crazy. I just let skimmer hose to a bucket and let it do its thing. Once you are able to see in aquarium again. The whole rock work will need to be dusted off with a pump etc to get white dust off. Be sure to get the corals clean. This will take several tries.

Anyway. Both methods work with no ill effects that I have ever experienced, but option 1 is far better choice. Just more upfront work.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off. I only use live sand. I have done 2 ways. I turn pjmps off to start in both methods. First method.

1. Put live sand in 5 gallon bucket. Add water from display and stir sand and get cloudy milk out of it and the preservation block thingy. Drain excess water and repeat several times to acquired rinse level. Once complet scope sand and put in aquarium. Thus is preferred method for less mess in aquarium.

Method 2
2. Cut bag open and fish out that preservation thingy. Scope sand directly out of bag and place in aquarium. You can actually put bag on there if you have spot or room. This will cause a HUGE cloud storm in aquarium and put white dust all over everything and make water foaming at surface. You will want to have filter socks in sump for this one. You will need to just let skimmer cup overflow in sump drain for a bit. It will go crazy. I just let skimmer hose to a bucket and let it do its thing. Once you are able to see in aquarium again. The whole rock work will need to be dusted off with a pump etc to get white dust off. Be sure to get the corals clean. This will take several tries.

Anyway. Both methods work with no ill effects that I have ever experienced, but option 1 is far better choice. Just more upfront work.
I like option 1 too, I use 'live sand' the stuff from LFS that's a little wet and still in the bag.

Thank you!! Just one more dum questions, what is 'scope sand?'

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Its that time. I completed my rock formations a long time ago and they have been in my 100gallon rubber made with water from my frag tank. This will now be going over to my display in the next couple weeks. There has been allot going on over the last couple years and its time to get to it now.

I will be removing my existing live rock and sand and then will recycle the tank with vinegar. will post some pics. I lost all of my pics of the rock I cemented together, so I will just document from here.

I'm hoping to be able to put corals in the main display quickly as the rock has been growing backteria for many months.

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more shots of some of my torchs in the frag tank that will migrate over to the display for torch garden.
DSC_6217_1.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a new anemone for the redo at the local fish store. A very nice Seabae. It has some color but its not sticky and would not stick to anything with its foot. Mouth open. I got it home and let it settle for 24 hours then I started Cipro treatment. After 2nd Cipro treatment in day 2. The anemone is now sticking to the bottom of the quarantine hospital tank. So looking good so far. Mouth is almost shut. Hopefully I can get it fully treated.
20220806_144649.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well during the night the anemone flipped upside down and the foot was facing upward. It was not able to stay attached to the aquarium. I doubled the PAR during the day to help it heal from 80par to 160par. I have been treating during the day during the light time, so maybe the dosage is being dissipated rapidly as well. So Yesterday I added half a dosage at night to see if it made a difference.

This morning. The anemone made it all night being able to stick to the bottom of the aquarium with no issues. I think the extra dosage helped. I checked the anemone with my uv light this morning before the light came on and it looks nice and fluorescent as well. 3 days down and 4 to go.

20220808_064625.jpg

20220808_070430.jpg

OP
OP
mtraylor

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I"m all set. Got my vinegar to reset the aquarium this weekend. Will see how it goes.
20220810_124828.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back