Multiple damsels in a 20g long?

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 20g long setup that has been established for quite some time now, which a fair amount of corals and rock work, I was wondering if it is possible to keep a small group of Allen’s/neon damsels together, no other fish besides those, do you think it would be ok aggression wise? I love damsels and would love to see a school of these guys as I’m to,d they are the most peaceful and best for keeping together.

z0mbeh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20 gallon it’s probably not going to go well. My only recommendation would be to add them all at the same time, if you add anything later on they will be very aggressive. Personally I have never had anything but bad luck with damselfish.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I’m not sure I want to do it yet but it seems like such a cool idea, I know the neons are some of the least aggressive but still not sure how it would work out Long term. Thanks for the input!

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Least aggressive" in a vacuum is a poor way to view fish aggression. The things that cause it are many factors not just genetics. Space, availability of food, types of fish, sex of the fish, order of introduction, and just random personalities all affect it.

Clowns for example are considered peaceful but they are territorial and if you have a tiny 20gal tank that's their territory. I kept one in a 30 for years with no issues even introducing small docile fish after her. She only ever attacks my hand.

Damsels, even the most peaceful ones, are aggressive towards other damsels and especially those of the same species. Without adequate space and/or very frequent feeding and lots of hides they will fight to the death. I don't think this is a good idea at all.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do 2 or 3 damsels you have to buy them small they will work out the territories. Make sure you have line breaks in your aquscacape or hard stony corals where they can hide in.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
damsels are very underrated fish. they have great color. kill pest. ive seen my blue chromic eat baby aptisia when I had my 15gallon sps tank. and they also are great swimmers giving lift to your reef tank. yes they are known to be bullies , not desirable in a peaceful reef. right now I have two yellow flag tail damsels . I got them small and they do squabble every now and then but they have other bigger fish to contend with so on the most part they mind their own .

Back