OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't followed this thread in a while so I don't know how much fallow time you currently have, but 76 days I think you're talking about Cryptocarion, I remember reading about it, so that's kind of a cyst time limit. Speaking of velvet I can tell you that when I was a beginner, I foolishly tried to keep angels and butterflies in the same tank without quarantine, the only thing I got was a tank full of velvet in less than two weeks, everything died so I did a fallow period of 90 days and tried again with the same result, did another fallow period of 4 months and again the same, so I decided to stop killing fish, I uninstalled the tank and started from scratch later with better results, and speaking of quarantine simply I follow the advice of copps: 90 days in quarantine to avoid problems and a lot of food for the new fish.
So let's discuss because I have questions based your experience.

After every fallow period you ran, were the fish that you added to the aquarium all added at one time or staggered.

Did you previously QT all new fish for enough time period to establish whether or not they were hiding disease?

When you say you "uninstalled the tank" what does that mean?

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's discuss because I have questions based your experience.

After every fallow period you ran, were the fish that you added to the aquarium all added at one time or staggered.

Did you previously QT all new fish for enough time period to establish whether or not they were hiding disease?

When you say you "uninstalled the tank" what does that mean?
Hello again, back then I didn't have much knowledge about what a hospital tank and a QT tank was, so no fish went through quarantine, but after all that failure I started to do some research and eventually my skills in handling fish from reef could be improved over time, understanding what a QT and a hospital tank was much later.
I would bring the fish in together, maybe 3 or 4 fish since they weren't that expensive back then, I would acclimatize by drip and then they all ate and swam well until the velvet appeared maybe 10 days or a couple of weeks later, look for information but everything was treated in hospital, he had no skills for that so the velvet advances quickly and is deadly. The fallow periods I did were 90 days on a couple of occasions trying to keep angels and butterflies, then I tried clowns, surgeons and I also lost them. So when I uninstall the tank I mean empty everything out, put the rock in the sun and leave it there for weeks, then I remember boiling it, cleaned my sump and tank (I sold them later and started over with another tank and another sump), I got more rock, I completely discarded the sand and changed it to live sand, I also changed several things from my modest equipment because the tank I got was bigger and then I started cycling again, the rock cycled it for apart basically because I was pretty bummed out to put a tank back in, I just put salt water in and rolled it. I think it's been 11 years, after all that I started to gain experience reading and getting better quality fish, I haven't had velvet in my tank since then and there are several pieces of that rock still in my current tank.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again, back then I didn't have much knowledge about what a hospital tank and a QT tank was, so no fish went through quarantine, but after all that failure I started to do some research and eventually my skills in handling fish from reef could be improved over time, understanding what a QT and a hospital tank was much later.
I would bring the fish in together, maybe 3 or 4 fish since they weren't that expensive back then, I would acclimatize by drip and then they all ate and swam well until the velvet appeared maybe 10 days or a couple of weeks later, look for information but everything was treated in hospital, he had no skills for that so the velvet advances quickly and is deadly. The fallow periods I did were 90 days on a couple of occasions trying to keep angels and butterflies, then I tried clowns, surgeons and I also lost them. So when I uninstall the tank I mean empty everything out, put the rock in the sun and leave it there for weeks, then I remember boiling it, cleaned my sump and tank (I sold them later and started over with another tank and another sump), I got more rock, I completely discarded the sand and changed it to live sand, I also changed several things from my modest equipment because the tank I got was bigger and then I started cycling again, the rock cycled it for apart basically because I was pretty bummed out to put a tank back in, I just put salt water in and rolled it. I think it's been 11 years, after all that I started to gain experience reading and getting better quality fish, I haven't had velvet in my tank since then and there are several pieces of that rock still in my current tank.

So let's talk fallow periods you experienced. You were completely fishless for 90 days. Nothing was in the tank and you used r/o and mixed your own salt correct. There was never a time that you did anything else, such as you added in fish early or you used seawater for water changes?

My plan here is to go fallow for 90-100 days and then we will restart from there. Obviously from the pictures this is a full blown reef tank so I'm not going to start draining tanks and sun bleaching rocks. I've been in this hobby for 22years. Patience is key.

Looks like I'll be picking up two 10 gals this week so I will have extra qt tanks if I see an angel species or two at the LFS that I can't live without.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'll be picking up two 10 gals this week so I will have extra qt tanks if I see an angel species or two at the LFS that I can't live without.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened! Great to see you’re trying to remain prepared for it though :)
I know I never prepared for any of my fish except the Radiant Wrasse and Foxface.

I look forward to seeing how everything goes and what your stock is in the future, are you going Angel heavy again?

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened! Great to see you’re trying to remain prepared for it though :)
I know I never prepared for any of my fish except the Radiant Wrasse and Foxface.

I look forward to seeing how everything goes and what your stock is in the future, are you going Angel heavy again?

That's the end goal yes. Our stock list hasn't changed from previously. With the extra tanks this should help so we can add multiple angels at one time after QT periods.

We actually measured the garage space the other day to see if we could start framing for the fish room ahead of schedule. Unfortunately my Buick is long and the front end sits where the front of the tank would sit.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a pair of bispinosa, a loriculus, a ferrugatus and a aurantia. I also have a small multifasciata in the observation tank. It has been there for the last month, eating like a pig. It's a tank bred one after multiple unsuccessful attempts with wild ones that just refused to eat in captivity.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a pair of bispinosa, a loriculus, a ferrugatus and a aurantia. I also have a small multifasciata in the observation tank. It has been there for the last month, eating like a pig. It's a tank bred one after multiple unsuccessful attempts with wild ones that just refused to eat in captivity.
Got any photos of them? Sounds like a beautiful collection!

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice angelfishes, we need a couple of pictures of course.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's talk fallow periods you experienced. You were completely fishless for 90 days. Nothing was in the tank and you used r/o and mixed your own salt correct. There was never a time that you did anything else, such as you added in fish early or you used seawater for water changes?

My plan here is to go fallow for 90-100 days and then we will restart from there. Obviously from the pictures this is a full blown reef tank so I'm not going to start draining tanks and sun bleaching rocks. I've been in this hobby for 22years. Patience is key.

During my fallow periods I did nothing, only water changes before adding the new fish and monitor the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, only that, I have always done water changes with a freshly made mixture, never use water that it came from the sea. It was hard to wait 90 days to be able to add more fish, I'm sure that if I had quarantine skills back then I probably would have succeeded with my goal, currently I only have a couple of fish in 75 gal, I'm waiting to start with a project bigger, but at the moment work, family and everything else keeps me on hold.
Your plan is good, I just think that lengthening the fallow time with velvet is safer, that along with a quarantine for his future angels should be enough, I wish him good luck.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice angelfishes, we need a couple of pictures of course.
Here are the couple of pictures. LOL

The multifasciata in the observation tank (no treatment at all; the fish was healthy when it came and remains in perfect shape after one month and a half). It's around 3 cm long (a little more than an inch). The ferrugata and a glimpse of the loriculus in the display tank. The ferrugata arrived to the display tank around 6 months ago and I would say it has multiplied by 2,5 times its size since then.

IMG-9689.jpg
IMG-9620.jpg

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty nice, Rusty and Flame are big fish, and Multifasciata is a beauty, what size tank do you keep these fish in?? I'm tempted to add bicolor angelfish or lemonpeel, flame and eibli to my tank but it seems like it may be too much.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty nice, Rusty and Flame are big fish, and Multifasciata is a beauty, what size tank do you keep these fish in?? I'm tempted to add bicolor angelfish or lemonpeel, flame and eibli to my tank but it seems like it may be too much.
Are multicolors cold water species because I keep seeing conflicting information about them?

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display tank is 125 g.
I used to have a pair of loriculus, but the older one died one year ago (after around 12 years with me). I also have had an eibli in my tank (died with the rest of the tank after a power outage while I was away on vacations). The eibli is a big fish for a dwarf angel, but very nice. One of the most underrated dwarf angels.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display tank is 125 g.
I used to have a pair of loriculus, but the older one died one year ago (after around 12 years with me). I also have had an eibli in my tank (died with the rest of the tank after a power outage while I was away on vacations). The eibli is a big fish for a dwarf angel, but very nice. One of the most underrated dwarf angels.
You are right, I have read many aquarists say that Eibli is an ugly fish, nothing is further from reality, I think it is a quite striking fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to multicolored angelfish or multifasciata?
Centropyge multicolour, it’s one fish I’ve always wanted but backed away from as I read conflicting information on them being from colder waters.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centropyge multicolour, it’s one fish I’ve always wanted but backed away from as I read conflicting information on them being from colder waters.
Well I just did a quick search for this, in some maintenance specs it has the same temperature range as Coral Beauty and Flame angelfish, I found it to be from 12-15 meters deep so IMO it should be fine in a tank sharing with other dwarf angels like the ones I mentioned. I have read about the dark coloration this fish takes on when under strong lighting.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my multicolor in an overheating RSM250 with a steady temperature of between 28-29C. It's doing fine, along with a ticiben angel and various other tank inhabitants.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back