OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back from vacation for about a week now and while I'd like to report no news is good news, that is not the case. A few days before we left, Hercules developed a fungal infection. I was treating him for it and left the final two doses for our fish sitter. Unfortunately our little fighter did not make it and we are now totally fishless in saltwater. I guess the silver lining is that going forward we can start with a clean slate.

The inverts in the main display have been prolific during this time of no predators however. I'm maxing out on stomatella snails and asterina stars. Even without fish waste, all the corals are still growing and filling in nicely.

Currently we are at the 60 day mark in the main display. Research has shown 76 is the target number but we may go beyond that.

We have been keeping our eyeballs peeled for fish at the local shops and lately everyone is getting coral beauty's and flames. One place has a rusty and another has a Singapore. Obviously the Singapore is chaetodontoplus and not a true dwarf but a very cool angel. I'm keeping watch on that one as it was hiding a lot at the shop and didn't eat when they fed the tank. We shall see in the future.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back from vacation for about a week now and while I'd like to report no news is good news, that is not the case. A few days before we left, Hercules developed a fungal infection. I was treating him for it and left the final two doses for our fish sitter. Unfortunately our little fighter did not make it and we are now totally fishless in saltwater. I guess the silver lining is that going forward we can start with a clean slate.

The inverts in the main display have been prolific during this time of no predators however. I'm maxing out on stomatella snails and asterina stars. Even without fish waste, all the corals are still growing and filling in nicely.

Currently we are at the 60 day mark in the main display. Research has shown 76 is the target number but we may go beyond that.

We have been keeping our eyeballs peeled for fish at the local shops and lately everyone is getting coral beauty's and flames. One place has a rusty and another has a Singapore. Obviously the Singapore is chaetodontoplus and not a true dwarf but a very cool angel. I'm keeping watch on that one as it was hiding a lot at the shop and didn't eat when they fed the tank. We shall see in the future.
Another nice Angel to keep an eye out for is a Velvet/False Conspic.
Hopefully the Singapore turns around as they’re a beautiful species. Also, do you have plans for other fish like butterflies?

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Singapore angelfish is a very nice angel. I had one several years ago and behaved like a model citizen: no fish harassing, no coral or clam nipping and a good eater.
Mine was not shy at all.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another nice Angel to keep an eye out for is a Velvet/False Conspic.
Hopefully the Singapore turns around as they’re a beautiful species. Also, do you have plans for other fish like butterflies?
Not at the moment. Our focus has been angels. My wife wants to eventually replace the pair of blue jaw triggers we had but that could be down the line. I have always like raccoon butterfly's but they also like mushrooms and I've got plenty of those.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's strange to know about Singapore angelfishes being model citizens, at least for me since unfortunately I have only seen very stressed fish that never eat or come out of their hiding places, they end up getting sick or dying, it's really sad but they are delicate fish.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels are my favorite and will be my focus as well. How big is your tank and what are your dimensions?
The tank is a 220 6x2x30". Eventually I plan to go up to a 6-8'x 3'x30 tank. If I have room, I'll go 4' wide but it may not fit my space in either the garage or in the house. 4ft definitely won't fit in the garage right now as that is my old cars parking spot.

I do not believe I will be taking this Singapore home anymore. It isn't taking much to prepared foods too much still because it's grazing off the rocks. Unfortunately that includes eating parts of the Kenya tree in their aquarium. Normally I wouldn't care but I have two color variations of Kenya tree, one of which is neon green and I can't risk it being destroyed.

One of the other local spots is holding a juvenile imperator angel for me. It's readily eating nori right now. They also have a juvi Koran that is eating like a pig. I hear these could be hot or miss on soft corals as adults however. Yes I am aware these are not in the realm of the dwarfs but Im thinking of a final tank ruler. The other fish I'm looking at locally is a flame, a bicolor, a coral beauty that's almost all purple and a really mustard colored heralds/false lemon angel. I really only have the one QT setup right now so I will have to be choosey.

We are almost at the 90day fallow period so things could progress nicely and perhaps I can convince one of the local shops to hold me some fish while I rotate through QT tanks. I do have the extra tanks for QT, just not the available space built yet. That's the plan with building the fish room in the garage. I'd like to have several 20QTs and maybe a 30+ setup just in case.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 220 6x2x30". Eventually I plan to go up to a 6-8'x 3'x30 tank. If I have room, I'll go 4' wide but it may not fit my space in either the garage or in the house. 4ft definitely won't fit in the garage right now as that is my old cars parking spot.

I do not believe I will be taking this Singapore home anymore. It isn't taking much to prepared foods too much still because it's grazing off the rocks. Unfortunately that includes eating parts of the Kenya tree in their aquarium. Normally I wouldn't care but I have two color variations of Kenya tree, one of which is neon green and I can't risk it being destroyed.

One of the other local spots is holding a juvenile imperator angel for me. It's readily eating nori right now. They also have a juvi Koran that is eating like a pig. I hear these could be hot or miss on soft corals as adults however. Yes I am aware these are not in the realm of the dwarfs but Im thinking of a final tank ruler. The other fish I'm looking at locally is a flame, a bicolor, a coral beauty that's almost all purple and a really mustard colored heralds/false lemon angel. I really only have the one QT setup right now so I will have to be choosey.

We are almost at the 90day fallow period so things could progress nicely and perhaps I can convince one of the local shops to hold me some fish while I rotate through QT tanks. I do have the extra tanks for QT, just not the available space built yet. That's the plan with building the fish room in the garage. I'd like to have several 20QTs and maybe a 30+ setup just in case.
A multicolor would look nice I bet!
That CBA sounds like a beauty too, Korans as adults can look bland but I personally still find them pretty.

Soft Coral and angels is a nightmare - I feel you as I’m keeping my 4’ tank softie/LPS heavy with maybe a couple non-acropora SPS that fade in with the other options but I have some fish that just aren’t always good with coral (Specifially LPS and Softies).

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A multicolor would look nice I bet!
That CBA sounds like a beauty too, Korans as adults can look bland but I personally still find them pretty.

Soft Coral and angels is a nightmare - I feel you as I’m keeping my 4’ tank softie/LPS heavy with maybe a couple non-acropora SPS that fade in with the other options but I have some fish that just aren’t always good with coral (Specifially LPS and Softies).
Multicolors are on our fish wish list.
She likes the coral beauty, I'm more of a cherub angel fan if we are talking colors. The one shop with the imperator, bicolor and false lemon has a tiny barely 1" cherub as well. I think this would be an excellent addition as it would allow it to grow into the surroundings.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I actually think the true Lemonpeel’s great looking and I might end up trying a tank bred one. You think an Emperor will outgrow your 220? I also love Gold Flakes, Majestics, Regals, Blue Lines and Asfurs. Some say Asfurs despite the 16” “book size” tend to not get much bigger than 7-8” in captivity, but I am still investigating that. Majestics aren’t too hard to come by as tank bred fish anymore, Biota sells them 200 bucks retail. Blue Lines Poma Labs currently has them for 300 retail.

Biota also gets Goldflakes from Bali Aquarich but I would ask for a pic from them to make sure it is a purebred specimen. I love Bandits too but they’re very inaccessible at the moment due to Hawaii.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some of my colonies I can't loose and tbh, I can more about them, than the fish. With the exception of these dang aptasia, I can totally afford to lose all of them!

IMG_20220821_123207220_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220821_123221549.jpg
IMG_20220821_123236509.jpg
IMG_20220821_123256924.jpg

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I actually think the true Lemonpeel’s great looking and I might end up trying a tank bred one. You think an Emperor will outgrow your 220? I also love Gold Flakes, Majestics, Regals, Blue Lines and Asfurs. Some say Asfurs despite the 16” “book size” tend to not get much bigger than 7-8” in captivity, but I am still investigating that. Majestics aren’t too hard to come by as tank bred fish anymore, Biota sells them 200 bucks retail. Blue Lines Poma Labs currently has them for 300 retail.

Biota also gets Goldflakes from Bali Aquarich but I would ask for a pic from them to make sure it is a purebred specimen. I love Bandits too but they’re very inaccessible at the moment due to Hawaii.

I do not think that the imperator will out grow the system. I think that it will shoot up in growth to an adult fairly quickly but in my experience, most fish that have a "adult size is X" are talking about average wild specimens that we do not actually know the true age of. I have kept several large species to include rabbitfish and open water surgeons and they hit growth spurts over 18months but then hit a wall and start to fill out width wise rather than length. Not to say they stop growing but, larger species are also noted for having longer lifespans. I'm known for feeding my fish almost too much so it's never a lack of substance. We've actually had to cut back and there has been times of over feeding because my wife is Italian and comes from a house where you get FED!

A LFS has a 300DD display with several large species to include a lionfish, Hawaiian trigger and a French angel. The volitan is the only one pushing the 1foot mark with the others only being full palm sized and he has had these fish for years.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Which fish supposedly get large, but in your experience remain smaller after many years? Would love to know.
I've had several foxface rabbits, a scribbled rabbits, a Niger trigger and vlamingi surgeon. Even after years on in 6ft aquariums and diets heavy in nori and frozen,they still did not get past full palm to middle finger length fish after 3+ years. Keep in mind a fishes total approximate length is not just body, its nose to tail.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back