multiple pairs in a large tank

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an onyx perc and a true perc in my 55. They've been together ~9 months. I also have a pair of black/white occellaris clowns in my fluval 13.5 that were purchased together last July. I'm upgrading to a 60x24x30 180g. It should be here late March or early April.

What are the odds of the two pairs playing nice? I don't need to move the occellaris clowns, but I'd love to incorporate them into the 180 with the percs and use the fluval as an observation/invert qt tank. I do have a very large bta, 2 med-large btas and a massive lta in my 55. They'll be making the move to the 180 regardless of whether all 4 clowns do or not. I don't have any interest in a species tank, therefore no "wall o nems"... I've given away the last couple splits and will likely continue to do so.

Appreciate any advice!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your odds are pretty good, plenty of reefers have multiple pairs in tanks a touch smaller than yours will be. Lots of room in a 180 for them each to establish there own homes.

OP
OP
deedubz

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm quite attached to all of them so maybe I'll just get a biocube for the lta and occellaris pair once they start to outgrow the nano. Thank you for your input

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that if they are just paired but not breeding then you will be fine. But as soon as they claim their territory or anemone, the aggression is very evident. Put the female into a breeding box and see how the other female reacts. That will give you a very clear indication.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back