Murphy's law.... Disease the morning i leave for vacacion!

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, it will wipe out most of your fish population within a week - but this can vary dependent upon hardiness of the fish species, the thickness of their slime coat, overall health of their immune system, etc. There is often a survivor (or two) who outlasts the ordeal, and it's no coincidence that these tend to be clownfish or a mandarin - hardy species with a thick mucous coat for protection.

If you can, add a UV to zap some of the dinospores in the water. This may keep their numbers low enough to save your fish until you get back from vacation.

i already run a UV on my system, runningit 16h/d

Even using this with diatomaceous earth might keep the parasites numbers at bay until you get back: http://www.marineland.com/Products/...protein-skimmers/Magnum-Polishing-Filter.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C8PH0OI/

Edit: Just reread your OP and saw you are already on vacation...

i have read a few post on these filter, we use some kind of diatomaceous earth filter where i work, i trying to see if they could do the job, not sure it's the same kind as the one i read about and it's clearly not the ame as your link. will certainly look more into it.

thk for your time, its appreciated.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i already run a UV on my system, runningit 16h/d

This probably explains how your fish are "managing" velvet so well up to this point. But I wouldn't trust it as a long-term solution to the problem.

i have read a few post on these filter, we use some kind of diatomaceous earth filter where i work, i trying to see if they could do the job, not sure it's the same kind as the one i read about and it's clearly not the ame as your link. will certainly look more into it.

There is a big thread on the subject here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diatom-filter-for-treating-external-parasites.212429/

It is my understanding that even diatomaceous earth from a pool supply place will work. A diatom works similar to a UV, removing free swimmers from the water. However, a diatom filter's faster flow rate should make it a more effective tool for this purpose. The downsides are it's a PITA to maintenance (at least the older Vortex models were), and I doubt 100% eradication is ever possible. So, like a UV, it's a "forever" band-aid.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning update:
Kole tang is still showing only the fat lip symptom, will do a fresh water dip thantransfer in new QT. I will start an antibiotic treatment for bacterial infection, will Furan-2 work ?

Main tank, all 20+ fishes are all doing good... except that Tailspot Blenny.. still rubbing here and there, but no visible signs.
i increased to 24h my UV in case...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will start an antibiotic treatment for bacterial infection, will Furan-2 work ?

Yes, but FYI no antibiotics are reef safe. Don't remember if you have corals/inverts.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a week now since i caught my Kole tang. All symptoms are now all gone, the fish seems to be back to normal as for breathing, cloudy eyes and behavior.
Do I have to wait longer before getting him in the DT ?

In the main tank, i don't see anything. If Velvet, is it resonable to think i would have seen symptom in the past week ?

Could it be ich ?

Is there other ways to see if fluke are involve ? freshwater dip on my kole tang did not allow me to see fluke in the dipping bucket.

thanks

david

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to run the full course of antibiotics (10 days) to be on the safe side before adding it back. So far for tank if you dont see any symptoms it might be that the fish are managing it especially with the equipments you are running, or the whitespots might be a result of other disease. Keep observing for symptoms that might give it a way, and compare images of velvet or ich and see if the fish has similar spots.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have completed the full antibiotic treatment. Can't say if it helped or not.
I have stopped the fresh water dip 3 days ago to see if something would show up. Nothing till today, i could see the same kind of whitish-translucent coating on his skin. No white dots. Did a 5 min fresh water dip, i could see a lot of white stuff in the bottom of the dipping container.
Started a prazipro treatment to see if it could be a parasite or fluke.

In the main tank, all fish are healthy.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 5 min fresh water dip, i could see a lot of white stuff in the bottom of the dipping

Sounds like flukes. Were the white things on the bottom of the container oval shaped? Kind of like sesame seeds?

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like flukes. Were the white things on the bottom of the container oval shaped? Kind of like sesame seeds?

kinda ovale, yes. but more like a peanut shape.
Forgot to mention that the fat lip was back on my kole tang. Also... my tang has not eat since in QT... 10d ago... but does not seems skinny or letargic.

If Fluke, i read online that some people treat their tank with Prazipro.... is it safe in a 100% SPS system ?

thanks

david

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Fluke, i read online that some people treat their tank with Prazipro.... is it safe in a 100% SPS system ?

I read somewhere that it might bleach your Montiporas a little, but they will bounce back.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on checking the tank before work. Tang has white dots on the face and side. Took a picture, will post it after work... NOt as many as the first time, probly a dozen total.

Will continu with daily fresh water dip and re-do TTM.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont do FW dips to treat flukes, it might not be effective as gill flukes sometimes dont get affected by it, also it adds a lot of stress to the fish. Best method is prazi whether it is prazipro or any other source.
TTM should help with white spots if they are ich spots.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont do FW dips to treat flukes, it might not be effective as gill flukes sometimes dont get affected by it, also it adds a lot of stress to the fish. Best method is prazi whether it is prazipro or any other source.
TTM should help with white spots if they are ich spots.

the FW dip is for the white spot, not for fluke. i don't want to see my Tang covered like the last time (10days ago), i will probably not do daily FW and see when it is needed . I started prazi yesterday, for fluke in the QT. Trying to decide to do a preventive treatment in my main tank, but i'm concern about it cause i have been through rough time in my main tank (coral wise) since march and it is just getting better.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In both cases, fish should not be exposed to FW dips frequently, its stressful as it causes ph shock, osmotic shock and other stressors, also moving the fish from QT to FW tank/bucket back to QT. In some cases you might lose the fish. If the fish is breathing at normal rate then it should be fine until you start treatment, or you can use acriflavine bath which is safer, if you are performing TTM, dose it to the tank around an hour before moving the fish to the next tank. Make sure to provide enough aeration as it depletes oxygen in tank.

Best of luck

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ Just to add, a healthy fish is probably much more likely to tolerate multiple FW dips than a sick/malnourished one. Of course, its usually sick fish we are needing/wanting to do a FW dip on. :p

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are the pics from this morning. Now... no more white dots.
P7182632.JPG P7182631.JPG
In both cases, fish should not be exposed to FW dips frequently, its stressful as it causes ph shock, osmotic shock and other stressors, also moving the fish from QT to FW tank/bucket back to QT. In some cases you might lose the fish. If the fish is breathing at normal rate then it should be fine until you start treatment, or you can use acriflavine bath which is safer, if you are performing TTM, dose it to the tank around an hour before moving the fish to the next tank. Make sure to provide enough aeration as it depletes oxygen in tank.

Best of luck

Noted... will limit FW dip :)

^^^ Just to add, a healthy fish is probably much more likely to tolerate multiple FW dips than a sick/malnourished one. Of course, its usually sick fish we are needing/wanting to do a FW dip on. :p

yeah you are right, but for now (figers crossed) even if my tang has not eaten in a while, he does not look 'skinny' or in bad shape... that can change rapidly i know :(. I'm trying to feed little at the time and siphon uneaten food.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for the spots to disappear and reappear as part of the lifecycle. I forget, are you treating with copper? Are you therapeutic yet?

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for the spots to disappear and reappear as part of the lifecycle. I forget, are you treating with copper? Are you therapeutic yet?

No yet on copper, wanted to be sure what was the disease, if Ich ill re-do TTM, problly messed up the first time i did. Was waiting for signs either on my Tang or in my main tank.

So far i did Ich-X as per recommended treatment (3x) combine with TTM to rule out ich. Did a FW before i started the ich-x treatment. with my vacations during that period, i may have screwed the TTM or the ich-X treatment.
I did a treatment of Furan-2 (4x) that i completed on the 16th.
Then I saw his 'slime coat' becoming translucent and did another FW dip. And this morning the dots.

On the picture, we can see a lot more smaller dots that i could not see with my eyes :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back