Murphy's law.... Disease the morning i leave for vacacion!

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my wife suggested to build a stun gun, electric shock my fish ?!?!?

i wont do it... but it made me laught... in a desperate time...

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank.

Did you consider draining almost all the tank in brute trash cans? Fish are easy to catch in the last inch of water. Then you can refill the tank as soon as you have them.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank.

Did you consider draining almost all the tank in brute trash cans? Fish are easy to catch in the last inch of water. Then you can refill the tank as soon as you have them.

yes i though about it, but with the work scape i have, even with a few inch, fish can all swin under the rock work and behind it.

Tang status: been at full copper dosage now. heavy breathing stopped. did no see white dots for a while.

Tank Status: all my fish seems fine. My Labouti wrasse is the only fish i was able to catch, i put him in Qt, but isnce i was unable to catch any fish, i put it back i nthe tank. He's been hidding since yesterday.

could i be wrong on the velvet diagnosis ?

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are finally getting 'used' to the fish trap, they start to go eat inside since it's the only food i'll put in the tank. so far my 5 chromis are going in.

My tang restarted to eat, so i guess he's on the good path. I will transfer him in the 30g QT tonight and continu copper treatment.

My labouti wrasse seems weak, i saw him swim and went to close to my Gyre and got stuck for a few sec... first time i see one of my fish doing that. No external signs. i'll try to re-catch him.

i'm still unsure about velvet, it's been since the 4th of July (20d) that i saw the first signs on my tang. i believe i should have seen others signs on my other fishes if it was vevlet, no ?? also considering that my last addition dates back to April. If those fish had velvet... it should have seen something !?

Looking at my wrasse, and my tail spot that was itching on rocks, it could be something in gills, rights ?? meaning, maybe fluke... ?
could a preventive Prazipro treatment in my SPS tank worth trying ??

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@david p. The wrasse should be weak enough to catch, so a FW dip can be performed to look for flukes: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

If he dies during the dip, I can promise you he wasn't long for this world anyway. And at least you'll know whether or not your tank has flukes.

he still vigorous enough to avoid me, usually when i put my hand in hte tank he comes to me and hangs around. not this time. first time i caught him, i jjust put my hand in the tank, waited for him to be in my hand and netted him. he's probly now more cautious beacuse of that. but i will certainly FW dip him.. i don't know why i did not dip him the first time... kinda stupid on my part. though i could re-catch him anytime!!

an old pic
18320750_1380277862037419_4769096598279268755_o.jpg

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day... did my morning check on the tank. My wrasse and red mandarin are dead. No external signs were visible. I fed the mandarin yesterday and seemed fine. The wrasse ate well even if he seemed a bit weak....

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day... did my morning check on the tank. My wrasse and red mandarin are dead. No external signs were visible. I fed the mandarin yesterday and seemed fine. The wrasse ate well even if he seemed a bit weak....

Sorry for your loss :(

Did you drop their bodies in FW to check for flukes?

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was late this morning. So fish still in tank. But will do for sure.

Mandarin and wrasse are know for their thick mucus layer. For them to go first is a surprise. But it point to something in the gills? Meaning velvet or fluke?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin and wrasse are know for their thick mucus layer. For them to go first is a surprise. But it point to something in the gills? Meaning velvet or fluke?

Unfortunately, I highly suspect velvet here. :( The FW dip should confirm those suspicions (because no flukes will show.)

Fish with a thick mucous coat - like wrasses & dragonets - will often not show symptoms of velvet, but still suddenly die. With those fish, dinospores invade the gills (where the mucous coat is reduced in composition) and the fish dies due to asphyxiation.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I highly suspect velvet here. :( The FW dip should confirm those suspicions (because no flukes will show.)

Fish with a thick mucous coat - like wrasses & dragonets - will often not show symptoms of velvet, but still suddenly die. With those fish, dinospores invade the gills (where the mucous coat is reduced in composition) and the fish dies due to asphyxiation.

sadly, i have to agree. I also think it's velvet, the symptoms on my tang match Velvet... i wanted to see symptoms in my tank... there we go :(
i will start catching my fishes after work.. those i can. Fish trap has been in the tank for 3 days now.

i feel bad for the wrasse, i had him in QT and though it was useless to threat him alone if i could not catch the others, specially if i could not see visible signs ... and decided to put him back in the main tank :(
First time i face disease in my salwater journey, there is a first for everything ... Dam it sucks!!

thanks for your inputs.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someday a crazed mad scientist will appear out of nowhere with a reef safe potion that will eradicate all diseases and parasites....he or she will become a billionaire. (Maybe it will be Humblefish! LOL).

And yes it does suck (been there and back). But don't give up. Sorry for your losses. [emoji20]

Empress

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow... by the time i got home, diner with family... bla bla bla... i go get the dead wrasse for the dip... nothing left exept the head and skeleton... took less than 12h for the CC to get it all... nothing to dip.

Manage to get half of my fish tonight, dosed half the cupramine dose. Will try to get the other tomorrow.
For my watchman goby and scooter blenny, the fish trap will not work, i will try the bottle with mysis inside.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a FW dip on my chromis, i found flukes.
But that did not prevent 2 of the 3 chromis i cought to die today.

I'll FW dip the other fish that are in QT.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss :( But at least you know what is wrong now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think its only flukes or you still think its velveet.. mixed with flukes ??

No way of knowing for sure without a necropsy and microscope examination of the gills, since velvet trophonts are not visible to the naked eye. Since you have already dosed Cupramine, I would stay the course with that and also add Prazipro. There is a risk of a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) occurring from mixing the medications, but increasing gas exchange should offset this problem.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way of knowing for sure without a necropsy and microscope examination of the gills, since velvet trophonts are not visible to the naked eye. Since you have already dosed Cupramine, I would stay the course with that and also add Prazipro. There is a risk of a bacterial bloom (cloudy water) occurring from mixing the medications, but increasing gas exchange should offset this problem.
will do.

For my main tank, would you advise to treat with prazipro ? the remaining fish in the tank are now avoiding the fish trap, i doubt ill catch them (2x flameback anagel, tail spot blenny, scooter blenny, 2 chromis, firefish, chalk bass, watchman goby)

thx again!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my main tank, would you advise to treat with prazipro ? the remaining fish in the tank are now avoiding the fish trap, i doubt ill catch them (2x flameback anagel, tail spot blenny, scooter blenny, 2 chromis, firefish, chalk bass, watchman goby)

Probably a good idea, since you know flukes are likely present.

OP
OP
david p.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have half my fish in QT on copper treatment and the other half is in the DT under prazipro.
What should i do next, if i can't catch my fish in DT, should i put back my QT fish once copper treatment is over ? and hope for the best ?? i cant keep fish forever in my QT...

I found fluke, so 100% sure it will be cured in QT and DT.
Maybe, my losses were due to flukes, and the white spots on my tang were ich caused by the stress of the flukes ??

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back