My 120 Build

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been working on this for a couple of weeks now but will srat from the begining. The plan is to have the tank to have a closed loop running on a Oceans Motion four way version 3. Version 3 fires 1&3 then 2&4. I am going for a whole tank circular wave motion. Running the loop is planned for a Reeflo Dart, 3600 gph. The four way will split and give 8 returns. 4 on top and 4 on the bottom.

This shows the basic plan.
120lookdown-1.jpg

OP
OP
dtpollard

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see the tank is pretty dirty. I am making rear wall panels to hide the plumbing for the closed loop. The rear panels are made out of standard eggcrate. I strap live rock (not alive) to the eggcrate to get the basic shape I want and fill in the gaps with Great Stuff Pond and Waterfall foam.
plumbinginside1.jpg

OP
OP
dtpollard

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the foam was still wet I covered it with fine sand to help protect it from uv rays and to make it look more like rock until the coraline grows on it.
progress1.jpg

OP
OP
dtpollard

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back wall fits on there pretty tight. The returns blow in behind it so the water behind it circulates but also water will come out from the caves. I will use black wire ties when its ready to go. :) I still have to take it out so I can drill the back for the closed loop. Still waiting for the bit. The cool thing is those wire ties are all that hold the two panels in so if I ever move the tank I can just take out each panel and move it. In theory anyway.
Here is the back now.
theblackback.jpg

OP
OP
dtpollard

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it's coming along nicely. I just need my drill bits to get here and I will be ready for water in a month or so. I am going to do the overflow cover later this week. I talked to Mike on the phone. He is going to be working nearby. I read the forum occaisionally to check on the swaps. I will have lots of frags when I move this thing. :)

OP
OP
dtpollard

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and that was after I had hosed it off. I ended up useing a vinegar fountain system that worked pretty well and scraped the glass with a razor scraper (wider than a razor blade).

OP
OP
dtpollard

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. My marinedepot cart has $1800 + in equipment in it still. :)
I will wittle it down week by week. I went to Tractor Supply to look at frag tanks for Valentine's. I love my reef.

Phurst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. I keep forgetting to come here and check your progress. I'll have to make it part of my daily routine.

I will of course volunteer to take any displaced frags :)

OP
OP
dtpollard

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Atlantis today and picked up a sweet People Eater. I think it is going to be my new pet project. The guy there says he has a Dart on a 4 way in a 120 and with me divideing it up into 8 that there will not be enough flow. He says his is lacking with just 4. What do you think? I could go with the Dart Gold but that makes it go from 3600 to 3800 but not much increase. The super dart gold is 4300. That just sounds like too much.

OP
OP
dtpollard

dtpollard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my diamond bits in from China and got the closed loop intake drilled. I will update with some pics later this week. My budget is off due to those OIAB people having such awesome stuff. I just bought this. It is there pic of course. I will definately be giving this a place of honor in the 120. :)
f17.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back