My 120 Gallon Tank

Big Brother Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!

I've been a bystander for the past 6-7 months, skimming through threads picking up knowledge and increased interest in reef tanks.

In late May, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase a 120 gallon tank (4x2x2)

I have been working with my LFS, but still I'm still not sure what equipment is best. I did follow their instructions and purchased the 48" Sunbrite LED light fixture. However, they recommended I purchased a skimmer that was wayyy too tall to fit below my tank.

I am looking for any advice on equipment (especially a new skimmer), and tips for what I got myself into.

Cheers!:yo:

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 246

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall is your stand? A 36" tall stand would be best. The sunbrites look pretty solid!

OP
OP
Big Brother Blue

Big Brother Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How tall is your stand? A 36" tall stand would be best. The sunbrites look pretty solid!

My stand from (measured from the inside, from bottom stand... to the bottom of the tank) is 26 inches.

The skimmer I currently have is 24 inches. So I figure once it is in the sump, it will be pretty difficult taking off the collection cup.

OP
OP
Big Brother Blue

Big Brother Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can't wait to get the sand, rock, and some corals in the tank to really see the lights do their job.

Speaking of the lights... Are LED's not good for growing the coral?
The guy at my LFS mentioned that they are probably the worst out of the options (Halides, T5, LED) at actually growing corals, but are best for looks.

My whole approach is to not go cheap, and spend the money to make sure everything runs smoothly because I am a novice. I am just worried I am taking advice from the wrong guy.

OP
OP
Big Brother Blue

Big Brother Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning I purchased the Trigger Systems Ruby 36S Sump Refugium, and a Bulk Reef Supply RO/DI unit. Also, I returned the skimmer I had, and got the Reef Dynamics INS135 Protein Skimmer (20" tall). Anyone have any experience with this manufacturer?

Pretty sure all I need as far as equipment is...
2 Powerheads
Return Pump
Heater
Sand

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!! Welcome to R2R!! You have a great lookin' set up!! Can't wait to see how it progresses!!

Saltwatertaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. I currently attend Michigan State University. I guess I will have to chirp you throughout the football season.

nytegti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can't wait to get the sand, rock, and some corals in the tank to really see the lights do their job.

Speaking of the lights... Are LED's not good for growing the coral?
The guy at my LFS mentioned that they are probably the worst out of the options (Halides, T5, LED) at actually growing corals, but are best for looks.

My whole approach is to not go cheap, and spend the money to make sure everything runs smoothly because I am a novice. I am just worried I am taking advice from the wrong guy.

I don't think there's enough research out there on the ineffectiveness of LEDs for anybody to say that with confidence. I'm currently using LEDs & my chalice's LOVE them. I'll have to get before & after pics together of my mummy eye, but it's been 2 months & I have 6 new eyes in 100% LED. I see decent growth for zoos & LPS. im not huge into SPS but my monti cap has no problem growing under my LEDs.

OP
OP
Big Brother Blue

Big Brother Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank, I love my 120g. What type of power heads are you gonna use?

I'm really not sure, I was hoping to get some recommendations. The EcoTech's are a little pricey for me... Really looking for functionality and lack of noise.
Maybe the Tunze's?

OP
OP
Big Brother Blue

Big Brother Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's enough research out there on the ineffectiveness of LEDs for anybody to say that with confidence. I'm currently using LEDs & my chalice's LOVE them. I'll have to get before & after pics together of my mummy eye, but it's been 2 months & I have 6 new eyes in 100% LED. I see decent growth for zoos & LPS. im not huge into SPS but my monti cap has no problem growing under my LEDs.

Fair enough, thanks for the insight. I think I will be looking to add primarily LPS/Softies. My favorite coral is the neon green toadstool, but can't seem to find one anywhere that's bigger than 1", not really trying to wait 2 years for a decent sized one.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back