My 125G Reef - FIRST TIMER!

xbrentx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a lot of research and shopping around, I finally put together my first ever aquarium build, jumping straight to a reef tank.

I picked up a used 125G tank/stand w/canopy/45G sump and he also gave me his live rock, as seen in the image below.

I picked up an rodi unit, a skimmer, some live sand to get the setup going.

The plumbing was a nightmare (i knew nothing about pvc), the previous owner had 4 holes drilled along the back 1 inch 3/4, I opted for some quality bulkheads instead of the typical aquarium ones which only left me with 3/4 inch holes, so I am using all 4 as drains and the return simply comes up the back into the canopy and locline hose into the top right.

It is currently cycling and I have noticed an ammonia spike in the first few days, since I used live sand and live rock that was in a tank before I'm assuming my cycle will be quick. I'm going to give it at least 2-3 weeks anyway to let it seed and stabilize.

I put the blue LED's on for the image, however the lights are off for the cycle process. I feel as if my aquascape is amazing but anyone would say that about their own work right :p. I separated the 2 reefs since there is a brace in the middle, didn't want light to be blocked, and the open space in the middle is nice for swimming. The left reef is in the shape of an M and the right reef is like an upside down U. The last owner gave me all his gear too, he has 2 Koralia 1400's and 2 1050's. Most people have been telling me to get a Koralia 6 and drop a 1050, which I think I will do. I want nice flow.

IMG_5320.jpg

Some of the gear I bought may have been noobish of me since I didn't know any better, I bought a Coral Life Super 220 skimmer and a few experts have told me it is garbage, so I will deal with it for a year or so, see how it does, if needed I will replace it.

I wanted to go LED since it would be cheaper on electricity and no bulb replacement so I went with 2x 36 inch marineland reef lights which covers the top end to end. I braced them to the canopy and a 2x2 on the middle brace, nice and secure.

So here is what I need to know; HELP ME!

I feel as if I got the bare minimum of gear, skimmer, lights etc. I see all these elaborate setups with dosing and so forth. I want to have the healthiest and nicest fish and corals.

I think my next purchase will be a Koralia 6 for more water movement, that will put me at 1x 1050, 2x 1400, and 1x K6.
What else can I add in or on the sump for better water? I hear alot of people using reactors for carbon or calcium, what is good and what should I look for?

OP
OP
X

xbrentx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - fish recommendations please; the wife must have a blue hippo and a clownfish so those are first to come. Any other ideas are appreciated. I like yellow tangs, can I have 2 of them?

cbb_70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 3 yellows in my 125... introduced all 3 at the same time. The first week was cool... week 2 world war 3 broke out. Major fighting and tail gashing... not saying it won't work just sharing my experience. Ended up keeping just one.

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all my systems i always pick fish and inverts that will have and do specific jobs. Then once that is done for looks, lol
also very nice setup! welcome. Now comes the addiction, glad to see you on here. You have picked the best forum to join.
as for the fish, I would recommend a sand sifter, a fox face for algea, and a naso tang. make sure with a tang, i would recommend a Quarantine tank to make sure ick don't strike. with my new system i am going to Quarantine all my new tangs.

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a great size to start with, in my opinion when you set up your tank yourself it make s the hobby that much more interesting and you can get more out of it. Enjoyment in the fact YOU put it together. very nice

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! :clap2: Lookin' good!

OP
OP
X

xbrentx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, it's very exciting to be at this stage now that all the hard work is done. Now it's a waiting game and a learning experience.

Getting fish based on jobs or roles is a good idea.

What do you recommend for sand sifting?
Is the fox face territorial vs tangs?
Why a naso tang and not a blue hippo or yellow?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back