OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the 29 as a quarantine and cycle both. Lol but yeah you shouldn't go to the store on your own. Someone spent their stimulus money well though lol

I like the 40gallon though. What model and maker is it?

Move the sand and rock over to the 40gallon like two thirds of it and add use the 29 gallon to quarantine any fish you buy. You could also run both and have a reef and a fowlr tank. Theyre are some cool saltwater fish you can't keep in a reef. But I like the idea of at least using the 29 gallon as a hospital/quarantine at the least.
Lol to be honest my wife went with me but stayed in the car. It's a Aquatop Recife ECO 40G Tank & Stand Combo. You don't think the 29 is too big for a quarantine tank? I was thinking like a 10 gallon maybe? It's already crowded in that room....also did your cycle just not move like mine? I added little bit of rock last night let's see if it makes any kind of difference tomorrow....

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol to be honest my wife went with me but stayed in the car. It's a Aquatop Recife ECO 40G Tank & Stand Combo. You don't think the 29 is too big for a quarantine tank? I was thinking like a 10 gallon maybe? It's already crowded in that room....also did your cycle just not move like mine? I added little bit of rock last night let's see if it makes any kind of difference tomorrow....
Yes mine stalled the same days yours did and I added the bio-spira bacteria to it as well. Mine stalled on nitrite though. My nitrite spiked and then didn't go down for like 5-7 days and then finally boom went down and it was cycled.

And no the 29g is not too big for a quarantine. It might be too big once you really get everything settled in that room. You might want to go down to a 10g later. But its not too big for now. Especially if its the beginning and you get a couple of fish rather close together to add to the tank. I would add 1 or 2 at a time until your bacteria is built up but after that you could have a couple in quarantine together. Idk its up to you. The Tidal filter will work on a smaller tank as well just turn down the flow on the adjustment knob. But save the 29g you might eventually upgrade and want to turn it into a sump or something.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make that ammonia move you might want to add some more bacteria or just keep waiting. Either or is fine. The love rock is going to help i wouldn't add anymore ammonia with anything live in your tank. Hopefully the rock will work your cycle quicker.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes mine stalled the same days yours did and I added the bio-spira bacteria to it as well. Mine stalled on nitrite though. My nitrite spiked and then didn't go down for like 5-7 days and then finally boom went down and it was cycled.

And no the 29g is not too big for a quarantine. It might be too big once you really get everything settled in that room. You might want to go down to a 10g later. But its not too big for now. Especially if its the beginning and you get a couple of fish rather close together to add to the tank. I would add 1 or 2 at a time until your bacteria is built up but after that you could have a couple in quarantine together. Idk its up to you. The Tidal filter will work on a smaller tank as well just turn down the flow on the adjustment knob. But save the 29g you might eventually upgrade and want to turn it into a sump or something.
It's weird how my ammonia hasn't really changed and you can't really see any Nitrite well I can't anyway. Oh yeah I'm keeping the 29g I have had it for over 15 years. Maybe I can put the quarantine in my room...now I also have the problem that my Photon 24-V2 doesn't fit on the tank is too big so can't use the legs....really don't want to hang it the ceiling is uneven where I would like it

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make that ammonia move you might want to add some more bacteria or just keep waiting. Either or is fine. The love rock is going to help i wouldn't add anymore ammonia with anything live in your tank. Hopefully the rock will work your cycle quicker.
Yeah I haven't added any since this past Saturday....I only got like 2 lbs not too much

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird how my ammonia hasn't really changed and you can't really see any Nitrite well I can't anyway. Oh yeah I'm keeping the 29g I have had it for over 15 years. Maybe I can put the quarantine in my room...now I also have the problem that my Photon 24-V2 doesn't fit on the tank is too big so can't use the legs....really don't want to hang it the ceiling is uneven where I would like it
My ceiling is vaulted where my tank is..... I feel your pain. I do not want to hang a kit from the ceiling where my tank is. It would be a pain in the butt.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what I was thinking... it was my 1st choice from the very beginning but I need to be able to return the one I have I don't want to lose the money on it....
I would check with them i dont know if they take returns or maybe have a restocking fee. Even with a restocking fee you could tell them you want an ai prime 16hd maybe they'll wave it idk. Just ask and see.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check with them i dont know if they take returns or maybe have a restocking fee. Even with a restocking fee you could tell them you want an ai prime 16hd maybe they'll wave it idk. Just ask and see.
Yeah I'm going to try tomorrow if I get a chance...if not I will see how I can mount it....

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what happened with lights? And did you start to cycle the new tank or what?
Still have the lights still thinking about maybe hanging or returning for the smaller model. I actually finished transferring everything from the 29g to the 40g earlier today...haven't posted anything because I was tired lol took me basically 2 days to transfer everything because I had a million things to do yesterday and had to produce more water which took forever! Then I accidentally added too much salt so had to produce even more rodi water to dilute. Just waiting for the tank to clear up as well

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have the lights still thinking about maybe hanging or returning for the smaller model. I actually finished transferring everything from the 29g to the 40g earlier today...haven't posted anything because I was tired lol took me basically 2 days to transfer everything because I had a million things to do yesterday and had to produce more water which took forever! Then I accidentally added too much salt so had to produce even more rodi water to dilute. Just waiting for the tank to clear up as well
All that sounds like lots of fun. Not. Well sounds like the new tank is on its way now.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that sounds like lots of fun. Not. Well sounds like the new tank is on its way now.
Lol loads of fun! Actually just checked the tank it's already clear. I added some filter floss think that really helped. Hope the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate tests tomorrow show some good progress forward....

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back