My 300 Tank build

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 300 gallon marineland deep demintion tank is being delivered this thursday so I figured i would go ahead and start a build thread. Ive already been buying equipment for the new tank and getting it running on my current 120 gallon tank. So my first set of pics will be current equipment already running.

current tank

300buildthread022.jpg

New Reeflo skimmer purchased at macna orlando

300buildthread001.jpg

New reef rock to add to current rockwork

300buildthread016.jpg

New Carib sea substrate to add to current substrate

300buildthread015.jpg

Current 120 acrylic MRC sump

300buildthread003.jpg

Current attached MRC frag tank

300buildthread008.jpg

Geo calcium reactor

300buildthread011.jpg

Fish room wall

300buildthread005.jpg

Reefkeeper elite controller

300buildthread023.jpg

I will post more pics when the tank gets here, and start building the stand.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! Are the corals and clam that are in the frag tank going to go into the new display or are they waiting to be sold / traded off?

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most corals in the frag tank are frags from the main tank colonies that are getting so big they are killing each other. That is the reason for the bigger tank! LOL! I love big pieces, but am limited with the 120. I just gave two 5 gallon buckets of frogspawn to a local fish store, and had to get rid of 50% of my montipora capricornis. I dont sell much cause its to much trouble to ship. I mostly deal with my local reef club.

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryan:

You have a nice tank and i'm glad you are finally getting a big enough tank for your naso.... that poor little guy having to do 5 point turns at each side of the tank to get back to the other side is so sad.

Tagging along.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!! Your tank is beautiful, btw!

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys! Tank is coming tomorrow!

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is here! Thanks to REV, BKV, and a few other buddies for helping unload the beast! I think Rev pulled something! LOL! Wife took the camera out so i have no pics yet! Coming soon! Rev post the IPhone pic you took

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryan,

I'm in a similar boat to you and am also upgrading. Is your new tank 6 feet or 8? I'm leaning toward 8' but am picking up a 6' acrylic this w/e. Looking forward to how it turns out.

Dave

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dave, This is a 6ftX3ftX27" marineland, I dont think there are any bigger tanks made as a production tank? 8ft would be sweet, one big downside i would see is the flow that extra 2ft would take. Im already way under with the two vortechs and an iwaski 70rlt pump.also you would need a crane to move it! I under estimated how heavy this tank was, with 5 hefty guys it was dang heavy and needed more people really.
Im looking forward to the starfire glass to! right now i just get to look at the edges and admire the pretty blue!

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dave, This is a 6ftX3ftX27" marineland, I dont think there are any bigger tanks made as a production tank? 8ft would be sweet, one big downside i would see is the flow that extra 2ft would take. Im already way under with the two vortechs and an iwaski 70rlt pump.also you would need a crane to move it! I under estimated how heavy this tank was, with 5 hefty guys it was dang heavy and needed more people really.
Im looking forward to the starfire glass to! right now i just get to look at the edges and admire the pretty blue!

The 6' I'm getting is 72X30X30 acrylic so weight shouldn't be too big an issue. I just worry it won't be enough by the time I relocate my 125 packed long. I've got a line on a 96X30X30 acrylic which I may just pick up. Guess I need to start a similar thread.

Dave

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not hung up on an 8ft tank I would give some thought to the tank i got. The only reason i got it is for the 36" front to back. there are so many options for aquascaping, Especially with your current tanks design and all the sps packed in there, you would have so much room to aquascape. Length is nice, but depth makes for a amazing view, and you still have sandbed leftover infront!
Ya the acrylic would definatly not be as heavy! Let me know if you think you may be interested in a deep demintion tank, If you dont have your own sources i may be able to get you a sweet deal.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I hear you about the depth but I doubt you can get it any cheaper than I'm getting this 280 for, free! Actually, I'm trading a bunch of premium frags for it but it really doesn't put a dent in the colonies. I'm probably going to adjust things so I don't have to go the whole 30" deep, maybe more like 24 or 26". PM me what you paid for yours if you don't mind as my options are still wide open. Thanks.

Dave

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common dave! you know you cant cut back the depth, your colonies will eat it up quick! LOL!

PM sent

OP
OP
ironman

ironman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got the stand done enough to set the tank on it! Have the have the whole basement sheetrocked before I get it running. So hopefully wont be to much longer.

marineland300003.jpg

marineland300002.jpg

marineland300001.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back