OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
SOOO installing the over flow seems to be more of a pain in the A** then i thought. So I bought a c-siphone with aqualifter to do the job. It will be arriveing today so hopefully it works as i planed it too.

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated pics on f tank almost1 year total

E75DCF47-6DEE-4FD0-8141-E5F03C204F4A.jpeg 79C7BA73-0F66-4EE2-B253-61069D03DA87.jpeg 2C7C2E45-D154-4A85-9EE4-EB3559C4C5D4.jpeg CCE6D816-E78F-45FE-901E-86A40C492240.jpeg D25E2814-1279-470E-94F1-9B1AD3494C8C.jpeg

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Today the overflow is going to show up with aqua lifer but im still waiting on a adapter for the rimless tank design i have. May just install without the ability to set depth of top of tank for now untill i get the adapter. For some reason the tank has been super cloudy lately I also have taken out the UV sterilizer and im not sure if im going to put it back in for the main reason that as soon as i took it out the tank became cloudy again i think its killing the good bacteria too!.

Since taking the UV sterilizer out of the tank i have had a huge algae bloom though!! been about 5 or 6 months with continous cleaning and algae out breaks. I have lost almost all coral except a frag of zoas and pulsing xzenia which was doing great untill recently since the out break of algae.

I added a diamond goby and i think i may take him back to the lfs because he keeps barrying everything even the rocks kinda annoying. Way to small of a tank to not notice his presents lol.

After adding the sump tonight I will let the system work its magic and hopefull the sump addition will add a more stable environment and better filtration.

I have spent way over 3,000 for this tank while learning. Coulda bought a 120 gal set up with sump for that from my local lfs!

Will post pics while i set up the sump and overflow pluming!

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks to my secret santa i now have a refugium light and a cup of chaeto algae to start growing in my refugium once the sump is plumbed and running. OOHHH did i mention that the chaeto is packed full of pods !! VERY COOL SECRET SANTA ! THANKS to who ever you are !!

Stoffale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your set up going I had the same algae bloom problem. I put the green machine in the return section and it solved the issue I took it out and now seem to have it coming back.
I tossed the protein skimmer it came with and change out the return power head.
Did you replace the protein skimmer?

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your set up going I had the same algae bloom problem. I put the green machine in the return section and it solved the issue I took it out and now seem to have it coming back.
I tossed the protein skimmer it came with and change out the return power head.
Did you replace the protein skimmer?
I’ve actually replaced the entire aio filter system and added a sump new return pump as well as a new protein skimmer I took out the green machine I had installed gonna see if the new sump addition with micro algae and refugium will fix it

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
My addition to the tank has gone very well I have successfully added a 20 gallon sump with refugium and protein skimmer! the tank cleared up as soon as i got everything running again and havent seem any problems with cloudy water or algae issues seem to have completely stopped. Havent started testing the water yet figured id let the sump adn system flow for a while.

Fish all seem to be doing fine the clowns are actually swimming in different locations rather then just i the corner. I really want to get them a anemone. I havent had much luck with the last BTA so kinda cautious of getting another. will keep this thought in my head after i start seeing more maturity in my tank and water parameters look good.

My refugium is currently stocked with a couple crabs and a chocolate chip starfish with some cheato like micro algae ! also got about 2 medium sized live rocks i got from the LFS which one is covered in red coraline algae !

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New addition to the tank Oreo torch coral !!! Thanks to lareefs on eBay very nice coral in good condition and adjusted very well to my tank ! So I’ve backed off on the water parameter checking lately got a seachem amonia badge to monitor that but that’s about it

A91DED33-6675-45CC-942F-9DC5C6FE4CF0.jpeg 0118A111-1F9E-459D-8F96-8CE286C50ACD.jpeg

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tested my water for the first time in a while with

magnesium 1500ppm
Nitrate 10
Calcium 500
Phosphate 1
ALK 15.0
PH 8.3

i hate to check PARAMETERS because i have a habit of chasing numbers to what they should be UGH but looks good to me Phosphate is kind of high?

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch coral still looking good ...... my sump has a massive number of critters in it different sizes of pods and bristle worms F6892F05-76AA-40FF-824F-633C4596E661.jpeg 322ECC07-5D27-4B81-8667-36B82A273978.jpeg 872796AD-76AB-4498-A16E-A3269F2CF45C.jpeg

Attachments

• 45F7CF7C-914B-42A7-BFA9-3EA046395F3E.MOV
    48.6 MB
  • C29200C3-9000-489A-B5D2-1F9C21D5D793.MOV
    8.1 MB
OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I am going to add a couple media bags of GFO in my sump bubble trap area so to reduce some phosphats im currenlty testing with the salfreit test kit and am getting a .5 - 1 ppm reading may be my reason i still see alot of brown algae on my glass

Dragon174

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Keep the updates coming.

On the return line creating a syphon when you turn the pump off, there are a couple of ways, the easiest is putting a back flow check valve on your return line. You can pick these up at any hardware store, but you might have to get some additional fittings because I think they only come in 1 1/2 inch fittings. I have had these on several tanks and work great. I currently don't have one on my current tank as there isn't enough room between my return pump and the hose going to the return line in my overflow. I have to have my return close to the top of the water surface to prevent my sump from overflowing when I turn off the pump.

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a breath hole to stop the siphon if it does start so thats not a problem anymore! biggest issues i have no are with phosphate and algae! I also for some reason cant get my Cheato to grow but its still in there the PODS love it. GFO is my next addition.

Also i have just acquired a older Allen bradley Micro logix PLC which i will be using as a home DIY tank controller. I will be controlling a ATO system and my sump lights, pump, and skimmer. Possibly hooking up a Auto water change system up to it as well

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been using phosphate-e to lower the level been using constant for at least two weeks one cap full a morning every two days roughly. I haven't noticed any changes in algae reduction or inhabbitance of critters. I will be checking the phosphate level tonight and will see if it has reduced.

OP
OP
rapid

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys got a questions

So the crab you see there has been tryin to get inside the anemone but the anemone dosent want it.

fast forward to now i just noticed the anemone is on the glasss front panel high up and i see the crab it clenched onto the anemone and i notice were the crab is attached to its foot it has ripped the anemones entire side of the foot there is a big tear from grab ? i removed crab and put into sump to let the aneomne heal ? will it be okay ? just paid 130 for the nem kinda ticked at crab pics comping soon

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back